LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.04.21 (06) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 21 20:46:32 UTC 2005

Oops! This just went out under a wrong header ... PFH
L O W L A N D S - L * 21.APR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.04.21 (03) [E]

Mihangel ap Morgan wrote:
"I'm posting a lot today because I'm trying to put off grading a rather
large pile of papers I really should hand back to my students tomorrow. Plus
I'm feeling a bit guilty for not having made MY contribution to the
anniversary pages."

That makes two of us, Mike! Apologies to all concerned. All my "busy-nesses"
have come at once.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary/Memories 2005.04.21 [E/Go.]

Leeve Leyglanners,

Anniversaries are or should be times for memories. Ik zul graag welke
bijzonders lustige of prettige herinnerongen uit de tienjaarse looptid van
de Lowlands-L websijt kunnen lezen. Is er toch exemplaren?

--Sorry for the fractured Nederlands/Vlaams. I promise to do better next
time.

We have other auspicious memories now surrounding us:
"Ihr naht Euch wieder, schwankende Gespenster..."
Sixty years have elapsed since WWII, and ninety years since the Armenian
genocide. Lessons for us? As carriers of a linguistic and cultural tradition
that contains both majorities and minorities, we bear a double duty of
memory.

In that context, I had previously mentioned that during a visit to the
Crimea, I had found several
vestiges of  Gothic place names. They are not Siebenbuergen Sachsen, Czarina
Katherine's Don River Germans, nor Mennonite names. They are attested by
many comparable Gothic place names in Montenegro, Istria, Macedonia,
Bulgaria, Romania, and Turkey (near the Bulgarian border).
Here are our findings thus far:

Sitankam  (Gothic Stainhamma, "stony place");
Mangup-Kale (Gothic Manguth-Baurg, "Manguth's Fort");
Bork-Kol-burun ("Baurg-Kol-Brunne");
Isil-Charna ("Asilu-qairnus", Goth. for "donkey-mill");
Rindjil ("Rinndzil", Goth. "low ridge, hill");\
Gun-charna (Goth. "Kuni-Qairnus", or "tribal mills");
Kavarna (Slav. version of goth. "qairnus", mill);
Litilburgaz (Goth. "Leitil-baurgs", "little fort");
Vargun (Goth. "fairgun", or "Berg": "mountain").

At Bork-Kol-Burun, we actually found a small, cold spring trickling from a
rock cliff near the fortress ruins. Many archaeological finds in most of the
foregoing places attest the age and cultural identity of Gothic settlements.

Just thought I would share with Lowlanders the importance and the poignancy
of memory.

Grueten,

Arthur

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Dear all,

Ron, Mathieu and Henry, may I on behalf of us all, give you guys
a very big thank-you for the hard work that went into the anniversary
pages. We appreciate it very much.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

 and omission ought not be equated with lack of appreciation.  As I
mentioned
before, the preparations coincided with Mathieu, Henry and myself having
extraordinary things going on and being extraordinarily busy off the List.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Thank you, Críostóir, Arthur and Elsie.

Folks, if you submit persional introductions, you might want to consider
writing a version in your native or favorite language as well if it's not
English.  (I know I'm no one to talk. My intro is so long, and now I don't
have time to translate it ...)

Elsie, thanks for thanks.  It's sweet of you to have taken the initiative.
We share the laurel wreath with everyone who has collaborated, and you are
one of them.

P.S.: For the person who joined just us (Bem vinda do Rio de Janeiro a
Lowlands-L!), let me add that we are talking about our 10th anniversary web
presentation:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/