LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 28 07:28:14 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.27 (10) [E]

That almost sounds like the "bloomin onion" at the Outback Steakhouse
restaurants.

----------

From: Mike Morgan <Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.26 (09) [E ... and a smidge of Japanese]

R/R wrote:
> Personally, I prefer the Japanese variant: 山葵 _wasabi_ (_Wasabia
> japonica_),
> especially when it "shoots out the nose," as I call it ... Ouch! Yeah!
> Goood!

Yes, but those of you across the sea who can only get it in little tubes,
don't know the REAL heavenly pleasures of grinding fresh wasabi with a
little wooden pestle () in little Japanese-style mortar with a little salt
to go with your zaru-soba (さるそば cold hand-rolled buckwheat noodles) or, as
my Deaf friends all say (and sign) "saru-soba" (ざるそば lit. "Monkey" buckwheat
noodles). 美味しい (sorry, the best translation is just the sound of cold
noodles being noisily slurped on a hot day ... and I don't think my IPA font
has the necessary characters for that.)

Though, when I really need a quick fix, straight from the tube is okay too.
(Okay, I have been know to "snoepen" on Sambal Badjak and try to keep my
fridge stocked with (preferably, Bihari) Mango and Lime pickles for the not
so occassional attack of the munchies. ... )

Too bad I've already had lunch.

Mike Morgan
茂流岸
KCUFS

Osaka, JAPAN

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Ben (above):

> "bloomin onion" ...

Bingo!  That's it.  I had forgotten the proper name.  Thanks.

MM (above):

Yes, but those of you across the sea who can only get it in little tubes,
don't know the REAL heavenly pleasures of grinding fresh wasabi with a
little wooden pestle

Hah! The world has changed, certainly at this coast at which Orient and
Occident hold each other by the other hand.  Not only do I know the delight
from (and got hooked on it in) Japan, but I can easily get fresh wasabi here
in Seattle (e.g., at Uwajimaya, a large Japanese supermarket) and also in
the Bay Area where I will end up one of these days.  OK, so they don't carry
it *every* day, but, hey, that's good enough for me.