LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.29 (08) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 29 21:53:09 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.28 (14) [E]

Dear Thomas, Mike and Ron (if I may mix in):

> My childhood girlfriend's family in Espelkamp in Westphalia made
> something that they called "milk soup".  I am embarassed to admit that
> I used to enjoy something so humdrum.  As memory serves me, it seemed
> to be sweetened boiled milk with clamshell type pasta.  Does anyone
> have a recipe?

Maybe we have something like it in South Africa, which we call 'melkkos' =
milk-food.

Any noodles will do, but clamshells are nice because they trap a lot of
sauce. Warm a bowlful of milk gently & slowly, sweeten it to taste,
preferably with something other than refined suger - like brown sugar or
honey, spice it with fine-ground cinnamon & a very little fresh nutmeg, then
if the sick child needs it, also a short shot of brandy. It can be eaten
just like that or thickened by stirring in a rennet tablet, to make junket,
& sprinkled lightly with chocolate powder. In the old days it would be
thickened with a spoonful of milk that had been left in a food-safe to
thicken by itself over a couple of days ('moeder'). There are alternate
flavours - rosewater for one, with a bit of lemon-peel grated into it for
zest, or else a naartjie skin. Do you call this last a clementina?

No surprise you liked it!

Yrs,
Mark