LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.02 (06) [B/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 2 21:38:08 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.AUG.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.31 (04) [E]

Over et Elzassis: enkele joare gelejje woareme mè 't school nor Stroatsbörg
gegoan, veur e weeksken oefzoeë, iën van ongs oepdrachte was draai woorde te
zuuken in et Elzassis dialect wörvan da ge kost zieng da ze van Döts'
origine woare. Ik kan 'k ik m'n aaige nog goed erinnere oe moelak da da
was... Öteindelak emmeme d'r wel e stuk oef draai gevonne mör dad ee wel wa
taaid gekost... Iëst vroegem' et on zoe e mæsken in e muzeüm wör da-m' oek
zjust muste zèn, mor die kende gin enkel plat woord, die was nog vraai joeng
mor zelfs dan erinner 'k m'n aaige nog da waai dad oareg vonne, oemda (bè
ongs) zelfs et KLENSTE kingd dad in et AN is groeëtgebrocht, wel tiengtalle
platte woorde kent n'rmoal en waai in dieën taaid nog dochte da dad overal
dan wel zoe zaa zèn... Mor oep den duur woare d'r wel twië mengskes dad ongs
die woorde koste geve, noa laank zuuke, 'k peis da-g-et iet was in den oard
van "Vaain" v'r waain (Fraans vin, Döts wein), "Gässe" en nog iet. Die gässe
betiëkende stroat mor 'k zèn ni zeker oefda da et Oeëg-Döts oef et Elzassis
was... M'schieng kloenk et woord wel ietskes aanders.

Veur de rest em 'k noeët iet g'oeërd van dees dialect.

Diederik Masure

------------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.02 (03) [E]

Hoi Lowlanders!

There were some questions about the situation in Alsace/France. As an
Austrian who's originally from Vorarlberg I can contribute a little to it.

In the last years I was was about four times in Alsace. The situation is not
that bad as always reported. I could hear even young people talking Alsatian
to each other, though they are far apart from what is the situation in
Northern Italy/South Tyrol or Luxembourg, both strongly  bi/trilingual.

Ron gave already some very good overviews about Alemannic. Classification is
mainly attached by how the "k" is spoken (e.g. chind - kind, chein - kein)
and the new-high-german dipthongisation e.g. from u to au (Hus - Haus), i to
ei (rich - reich, min - mein) ue (ü) to eu (duetsch or düütsch - deutsch, I
avoid the German "Umlaute", because they alway make problems in
transmission). In Alsace there is also a Franconian influence (mainly w
instead of b and g in the middle of words as mag - maw, leben - lewe[n]).

Suebian in Baden/Wuerttemberg and West-Bavaria did the dipthongisation
half-way, so the other Alemannic speaking don't consider it as real
Alemmanic, hence the name Alemannic-Swabian for the hole group.

High- and Highest-Alemannic speak ch, low-Alemannic is k. Today the ch is
only spoken in Switzerland and Sundgau/Alsace. In former times it was
certainly also spoken in some parts of Vorarlberg and Tyrol in Austria and
the German side of the triangle Germany/France/Switzerland. Maybe its also
spoken in some parts of Liechtenstein, but actually Liechtenstein and
Vorarlberg have identic dialects.

In Germany Alemannic dialects tend to merge with Swabian. Swabian has a
similar possition as Missingsch in LG/LS.

Alsatian seems to me the most archaic version, but this is maybe only
because of its Franconian features and French influence in lexical terms.
Alsatian north of Sundgau is even for Swiss German only understandable with
some difficulties.

Uf Wiederluege from Austria

Karl-Heinz