LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.03 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 3 16:10:19 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.AUG.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Rudi Vari <rudi at it.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.02 (03) [E]
    From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
    Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.28 (07) [E]

    Hello,

    just some stories about speaking "pure" High German. I frankly can't
stand
    hearing "people in Hannover speak the purest High German" anymore....

Hallo everybody

It may well be that the people of Hannover do not speak "pure" German.
However, I do recall that during my first visit to Germany, during the late
1970's, that the German spoken by the Hannoverians was easier for me to
understand than the German of the Müncheners. Perhaps this was because of
the sing-song way of speaking in München, or because my ears were better
atuned to the more clipped way of speaking in the north. Or yet perhaps it
was that my knowledge of German, acquired in high school during the late
1950's, was too limited to interpret the Münchener accent. At that stage I
was also told the myth that the purest German was to be heard in Hannover,
and perhaps that also helped to form my prejudice.

Whichever is the truth, over the years, I have come to actually enjoy
hearing and better understanding German of the Southern persuasion.

Kind regards
Rudi Vari

----------

From: David Winterburn <david.winterburn at steinmuller.co.za>

Hi Lowlanders

Ron wrote

>I am not surprised those people had no idea about Low Saxon ("Platt").
>Assumedly, they were younger people from large cities.  I further assume
>that they were of an age group that was raised by the post-war generation
>or, if they were older, by people that grew up during World War II.  The
>post-war era until about 1980 is by many considered the "dark age" for Low
>Saxon in Germany, particularly in larger cities.

I work with some Germans one of whom is my friend. His home language is
Swabian. What surprised me was that he said that when he goes home on
holiday (to some place close to Stuttgart) his English suffers a bit ( that
didn't surprise me). I said I suppose your German( Standard) improves; no he
said there was no effect on that at all because he only speaks Swabian at
home. When he communicates with his family by email he usually does that in
German. In his opinion a standard German speaker can only understand about
30% of the dialogue of a person speaking Swabian.

He also told me that Germans from the North ie the Platt area, start
speaking Afrikaans after only about 4 months of arriving in South Africa
just by keeping their ears open.(The Dutch even sooner though they never
lose their strong guttural accent)

My Austrian hairdresser told me she went to Namibia on holiday once and
filled her car up way out in the desert somewhere. The petrol attendant (I
think he was a baster)walked up to her and starting speaking her native
dialect.( Something close to Bavarian)

Dave Winterburn

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.08.02 (05) [E]

Didi, very interesting you bring this up.
This <ä> for Dutch short <a> is typically for Antwerp, isn't it?
I notice it in the Antwerpian accent - also when people speak Dutch
instead of Brabantian- all the time.

There is a kind of schedule to be made in the way vowels in the Antwerp
prono of Dutch differs from the Standard:

SD  - A
[a] - [ä]      kat    [kat] - [kät]
[E] - [I]      bed    [bEt] - [bIt]
[I] - [i]      kind   [kInt]- [kint]
[Y] - [y]      rug    [rYx] - [ryC]
[i] - [i:]     wieg   [v\ix]- [wi:C]
[u] - [u:]     voet   [f\ut]- [vu:t]

Or, want I am beginning to believe more and more lately:

Standard Dutch (SD) has actually <kind> =[kent] and <rug> =[r2x] instead of
[kInt] and [rYx]. That would explain the difference we hear between German
short i and ü, Dutchies hear German Kind = "kient" [kint], and Rück
= "ruuk" [ryk], not as [kInt] and [rYk], and "kient" and "ruuk" are even
written like that in "Dutch spelling" in German language guides for
travellers.

I think SAMPA has [}] or [{] for this, I'm sure Ron knows the right one.

Ingmar

Diederik Masure:

----------

From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>

> I am not surprised those people had no idea about Low Saxon ("Platt").
> Assumedly, they were younger people from large cities.  I further assume
> that they were of an age group that was raised by the post-war generation
> or, if they were older, by people that grew up during World War II.  The
> post-war era until about 1980 is by many considered the "dark age" for Low
> Saxon in Germany, particularly in larger cities.  Use of the language was
> discouraged at least indirectly, at least by neglect and exclusion.  The
> general message was that it was not good for young people, that it would
> hamper their education and professional success, that dealing with it as a
> hobby was all right but was really a waste of time.  I know quite a lot of
> North German city folks whose parents were native Low Saxon speakers but
> did
> not pass on the language to them, mostly for that reason.  Sadly, this
> includes people who really loved the language.  They had come to be
> resigned
> to the prospect of the language dying with them, and most of them did not
> think it was right to "harm" their children with it and make them social
> oddballs.

Unfortunately, this is the fate of many languages around the world.
People don't generally understand the fact that bilingualism enhances
the intellect of a child in most cases, rather than confusing them or
making them use their second language poorly. If only everybody knew
the truth, language death would surely slow down quite a bit.

> Yesterday I watched a snippet of the Korean evening news, a report about
> Korean-Japanese young people spending a few weeks in Korea to reenforce
> their cultural roots.  When they were interviewed they all spoke Japanese.
> They had little or no Korean.  Again, Korean language, giving away your
> ethnicity, can be a stigma in Japan in that it may provoke discrimination,
> and many Korean-Japanese parents are led to believe that not teaching
> Korean
> (at least not really) would give their children a brighter future.

But aren't most Japanese from the Nara area, and others with "Yamato"
ancestry, Korean-Japanese? After all, descendants of Baekje are
considered Koreans, aren't they? ;)

> Isn't it similar also in the case of young people of Ainu ancestry,
> especially those that live in cities like Aomori, Morioka, Akita, Sendai,
> Monbetsu, Enbetsu, Nakagawa, Wakanai or Sopporo, who don't know the Ainu
> language and know hardly anything about their ancestral culture even
> though
> their parents or grandparents are linguistically and culturally Ainu by
> upbringing?

Yes, it really is, unfortunately. In many cases, people's parents have
not even told them of their Ainu ancestry, and they go through much of
their life thinking they're just like any other Japanese, perhaps
until they are discriminated against for being "hairy Ainu", which
they will initially claim not to be unless perhaps they look into it
more, which they very well may not.

Unlike Ainu people, most people of Ryukyuan heritage have family names
that makes their origin fairly obvious, for example "Shimabukuro",
"Ishimine", "Shima", "Ikema", "Amuro", and truckloads of other
peculiar family names which are outside what is considered "normally"
Japanese (ie, a two-character family name, with both characters coming
from a list of perhaps 200, for example I-noue, Kawa-moto, Mori-naga,
Yama-shita, Ko-bayashi, Ta-naka...), some of which are telltale
Ryukyuan ("Shimabukuro" is never to be found in people of pure
mainland heritage, for example).

Mark

I tried to find some spoken samples of Alsatian in the net. The only I've
found is this: http://www.dialekt.ch/mp3/nordwest/Bollag_Grussenheim.htm

I don't think there is much yiddish in it, for me it sounds simply Alsatian.
The sample is about the life of the Jews in Upper-Alsace. See also:
http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/grussenheim_cimetiere.htm

Eifach losna (=listen in Alemmanic)

Karl-Heinz