LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.08.04 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 4 16:34:59 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.AUG.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.08.03 (06) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

It's English too isn't it? We use it here also, "He fell with his bum in
the
butter."<

I've never heard this one!

Is it positive or negative??????????

I can't work out whether it is like : bread always falls butter side down
i.e. negative  or A cat always falls on its feet i.e. positive.

I can understand it wouldn't make the butter any better, but one would come
away with a lot of butter ; -))))

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Idiomatica

Hi, Heather!

> I can understand it wouldn't make the butter any better, but one would
> come
> away with a lot of butter ; -))))

Nice bit of poetry there.

> I've never heard this one!

I have a strong feeling it's a South African English thing only and is a
loan ("idiomatic calque") from Afrikaans.  (This is an area we have hardly
begun to look into so far.)

This "falling with X into butter" or "sitting in butter" may well be a
Continental Lowlandic thing.  I vaguely remember hearing or reading a
similar expression in Low Saxon, maybe something about butter in connection
with marrying rich.  Does anyone remember?

> Is it positive or negative??????????

My guess is that it is positive.  Butter tended to be a symbol or metaphor
for material wealth or at least a comfortable life.  Apparently only
well-off folks could afford butter or could afford it everyday.  I suppose
poorer folks had (oftentimes rancid) lard instead, or nothing at all.  This
idea of butter being special was still alive when I was a child (sometime in
the Dark Ages of course).  Even after the so-called West German "economic
miracle" had started, most people had margarine most of the time and butter
only on special occasions, perhaps on Sundays.  We referred to butter as
"good butter" (Low Saxon _goude botter_, German _gute Butter_), and we
usually meant "margarine" when we said only "butter."

It was especially butter, coffee, oranges and bananas that to most East
Germans were the symbols of "exotic" (i.e., West German) "wealth" after
Western Germany got ahead economically.   When my aunts visited us from the
East, they were very keen on getting as much of those good things as they
possibly could, but social norms dictated feigned modesty and led to
numerous pretence games.  I still remember from my very early childhood
(before the Wall) my aunts (country folks from the Polish border who had
never been to a large city before) on the first morning after their arrival
running around the place with the butter dish and my mother in hot pursuit.
My mother had served butter for breakfast.  They pretended that that was
just too much of a treat, pretending to return the dish to the refrigerator,
and my mother's polite hospitable insistence was turning into annoyance
about this and similar games being way too elaborate and going on for too
long.  I was very entertained by that spectacle, almost as much as when one
of those aunts, assuming it was a set of stairs, stepped the wrong way onto
a self-starting escalator and fell off, in the middle of a posh department
store (Alsterhaus), legs in the air, showing knee-length knickers underneath
several sets of skirts.

Oh, yes!  No matter what -- there's always a story or three ... (even
without the help of Advocaat).