LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.07 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 8 01:22:13 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.AUG.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.07 (02) [E]

Hi all!

In Vorarlberg and Liechtenstein we use the word "hoi" as an expression of
surprise and for "hi"/"hello".

I didn't find anything about its etymology in the net, but I know "hoi" and
also "doei" were already discussed in lowlands-l.

"Doei" derived from "adieu" and "adios" makes sense, but "hoi" as "hold
yourself" doesn't convince me. There must be a link to the romance languages
too and/or to "Seemannssprache". Remember the sailor's "a-djus" and "a-hoy".

Greetings

Karl-Heinz

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hoi, Karl-Heinz!

Could "hoi" not just be "a sound" to attract attention, like "Oy!" in
certain English dialects?

As for "Hoi!" in Austria, of course what comes to mind is Czech and Slovak
influence during the Austro-Hungarian era.

Dutch uses "hoi!" as a greeting also, and Czech and Slovak have "ahoj!" (and
so much for "nautical").

As for North German _tschüß!_ for 'bye!', I assume it comes from Low Saxon
_adschüüs_.  Most people assume this comes from French _adieu_, but I am
still not totally convinced that it does not come from Spanish _adios_ or
Portuguese _adeus_* (not only because of seefaring contacts but also because
of contacts with the influential Portuguese Sephardic people that spoke both
Spanish and Portuguese, besides Ladino [which has _adyo!_ for 'good-bye!']).
How else does one account for the _-s_?  It could even be a mixture of
French and Spanish/Portuguese.

* Assumedly, Portuguese had not yet fully established the rule /s/ -> [S] in
the 16th and 17th centuries, which can be seen in Brazilian dialects.