LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.08 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 9 23:04:33 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.08.08 (03) [E]

Dear all,

On the subject of "do" and its uses...

There is a fair amount of grammatical interference from Cornish English in
my speech, from my mother and because I half grew up in Cornwall. Most
obvious is my use of "do". I understand that in most Englishes the
construction "I do do that" (i.e. "I habitually do that") sounds odd - this
has been remarked upon a number of times to me (my mother also uses it and
has had the same response - she lives in Nottingham). Likewise, for emphasis
I say, "I do like that" (i.e., "I like that very much"). In Irish English
constructions like "You do be after that" (i.e., "you do that a lot") are
common and easily analysable to myself, but apparently strange to users of
other Englishes.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Críostóir, Lowlanders,

It seems to me that the language specific uses of auxiliary "do" overlap
greatly, if not for the most part, among the Lowlands languages.  This leads
me to join those that assume this is a very old feature, even though it is
not represented all that much in the old written language varieties (perhaps
because it has always been considered "low," casual mode).  Of course,
German, Yiddish and other "high" varieties use auxiliary "do" as well, but,
with the exception of North German dialects (which have Low Saxon or Low
Franconian substrates or influences), these do not overlap with the rest to
such a degree.  I have no idea if this means that they dissimilated or if
the "do" feature developed (to this degree) in the north after some of the
Elbe tribes moved to the south.