LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 11 14:27:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.08 (02) [D/E]

Speaking about <-ng-> and <-nd-> becoming <nj> in Flemish, Limburgian and
Eastern Low German, I noticed that my two year old son Arvid, who is just
learning to speak (Dutch), uses similar phonological developments.

E.g:

Arvid says <ötj>  [œt'] instead of D. <uit>  [œyt]
           <hösj> [hœš] instead of D. <huis> [hœys]
           <täsj> [tæš] instead of D. <Thijs>[t€js] proper name (boy)
           <mänj> [mæñ] instead of D. <mijn> [m€jn] mine, my

First I thought it had to do with dimunitive forms, like D huisje ['hœyš@]
Thijsje ['t€jš@], but that wouldn't make sense in the case of <uit> and
<mijn>, that don't take dimunitives, and if they did, it would be
<mijnTje>, that should have lead to *[mæñt'] not [mæñ] in Arvid's dialect.

And for a real dim. like D .<poesje> ['puš@], Arvid has [puj], without a
final palatal or any other consonant.

I think phonologists and dialectologists could learn a lot about language
mutation processes when they'd listen carefully to young children
acquiring their mother language!

Ingmar