LL-L "Proposal" 2005.08.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 18 15:22:38 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.AUG.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Proposal" 2005.08.17 (10) [E]

Ron wrote:
"Or sign language with a written version?"

I saw this treatment once. It was very like Lockwood's multi-lingual
versions of the Paternoster, i.e., with pictoral representations of the
signs ("text") above and literal translations in English underneath. It was
effective and demonstrated very well the versatility and inventiveness of
whichever sign language was being used. I believe it was ASL.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Well if you extend your proposal a bit into the absurd direction, we'd all
have to write Common Germanic again 8) And every reader would then have to
consider all the sound-shifts over the past 2000 years again when reading.
Like when you want to give one spelling for the word "more", and want to
unite the various forms like more, meer, mehr, meir, meirr (or what is it
inIcelandic?), mjeer, miër, etc etc. it's almost unevitably to write it as
mair or meir... and then you'd have to teach all english to pronounce ai's
as o or oa, all Nynorskers to pronounce it as you write it, and Antwerpians
to pronounce it ië ;) And then one must also teach the English that f.ex. in
laidian (or whatever "skryfwys" you'd take as the Gmc. form) one must
pronounce it ea, and the Antw. to pronounce it ei, and the Norskers to
pronounce it ei nonetheless.
So unifying all the germanic speakers seems a bit hopeless to me, but on a
smaller scale (like only in Germany, or lowlands, or something) it is of
course a bit more proable

Doederik Masure