LL-L "Technica" 2005.08.18 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 18 17:25:19 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.AUG.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Interspecies communication" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Interspecies communication
>
> Sandy, I love the layout of _The Story of Vallteacher_!

CSS certainly produces excellent results when used properly! In this case
the page is designed so that everything is in its "box" (or "div" in the
HTML source), and boxes are packed correctly within other boxes, right up to
one big box holding eveything.

In this case, each paragraph is in a box and each set of notes for a
paragraph is in a box, and each paragraph and its notes are in one box, and
these boxes are all together (along which boxes holding graphics) in another
big box, which is lumped into a box with the title... But the important
thing for this layout is that each paragraph and its notes are in two boxes
withing a box of their own, so that the notes always stay with the correct
paragraph.

This sort of design is very pleasing to do and gets excellent results - I'd
advise giving each type of box a different light backgound colour and a
border in a darker shade of the colour in the CSS so that you can see what's
going on during development. Then when it's all working, replace them with
the correct colours.

I'd like to add notes and glossaries to the Scotstext texts. Still debating
whether this sort of layout is best or tooltips. The trouble with tooltips
is that the user has to _do_ something to get at the information. Is the
resultant interactivity a good thing or just unnecessary effort for the
user?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Thanks, Sandy.

I think the margin note solution lends itself to displaying "dialect" texts,
i.e., texts in varieties related to the one the reader knows (including, for
instance, Middle English texts in the case of English).  These are texts for
which relatively few glosses and notes are necessary.  Where a lot of
glosses must be provided, I think one of those "rest your cursor on a word"
solutions is better. There are those that make a small box pop up (like the
ones I've been using), and then there are those that make a gloss appear in
a separate window.

E.g.:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=tokpisin
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse2-roman

I can't find an example of the separate-window solution right now.  I've
seen it used in several pages dedicated to indigenous American languages.