LL-L "Lifestyles" 2005.08.19 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 19 19:37:11 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lifestyles" 2005.08.19 (02) [E]

Ron wrote:
> However, on the whole, I believe that most of the talk about other
people's
> hygienic habits is based on prejudice-laden rumors.

I have heard this so often during my time in the USA, even from people who
considered themselves highly educated: "The French don't shower/bathe". Of
course, none of those people had ever been to France, or knew any French
people personally... my usual answer was: "Good for them - clean drinking
water is expensive, and a very rare commodity in many areas of the world."

A shower every other day is quite sufficient on days where you don't sweat
much, and, as Ingmar pointed out, much better for the skin. I know an
American woman who showers at least twice a day, every day, and
automatically washes clothes that have been worn, even for no more than an
hour. She also washes the dishes under hot running water before she puts
them in the dishwasher. I absolutely shudder to think how much clean
drinking water this one person uses every day just to feed her personal
obsessions.

I actually find it rather disturbing that modern societies no longer allow
people to have a personal smell of their own. I am not talking body odour,
excessive sweat or halitosis here, but the usally rather pleasant (to me, in
the case of males, of course) smell of a natural human body. Why are people
so anxious to forget where we came from?

I'd rather smell a fellow human than a cloud of perfume any day...

Gabriele Kahn