LL-L "Technica" 2005.08.19 (10) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 19 19:39:35 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Technica" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Technica
>
> I think the burgundy solution is my favorite; red and distinct but not too
> bright.

OK, I've changed it to burgundy  :)

http://sandyfleming.org/annotated/

> Here's the drawback: it works great in Mozilla Fierfox but not in Internet
> Explorer.  :-(  Also, the latest updated version of IE brings up a warning
> when you want to open the .js page and sometimes doesn't let you open it
> at
> all.  When it does, it comes with an opened-with-error signal.  Is there
> anything you can do about that?

Yes, as I said I'd only tested it on Firefox as it's just meant as a
demonstration. It should be possible to iron everything out for other
browsers (kind of surprised that something as simple as this now gives
problems on IE, though!).

> It may be a good idea to check with Ben (and whoever other Lowlander) to
> see
> if and how reader programs for the Blind can cope with it.  If there's a
> problem with that, perhaps simple tweaking could take care of that.

Remember how complicated the Scotstext pages used to be? I now keep them
simple because I hope that simple stuff will work, or be easy to get to
work, in other kinds of reader. I'd like to know if this is satisfactory for
other reader programs, of course.

Indeed, it's only with great trepidation I consider adding Javascipt to
Scotstext pages. I tried to do this with CSS only first, but it doesn't seem
possible.

We could of course add more refinement - the effect could take place only
for the verse or paragraph the mouse was hovered over or something (doesn't
seem any more useful, though), and also to avoid links which aren't being
used for annotation (but for something else such as actual linking).

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Sandy (abuin):

> OK, I've changed it to burgundy  :)

Guid lad! Ay, tha's luikin plat bonny nou an can git ma fair appruival. (An
ye can dicht that girn aff yer gizz nou an aa.)