LL-L "Names" 2005.0821 (03) [E

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 22 05:07:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.AUG.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "Roger Hondshoven" <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: Assistance requested

Hello Ron,

I'm afraid I inadvertently marked some Lowland postings as spam. As a
result it
seems I don't get any further Lowland postings at all. I searched my
computer for a
solution but couldn't find anything helpful. Have you got any suggestions
to help me
out?

On the other hand I would like to open a minor topic for discussion.
I'm an athletics fan. During the latest World Championships I tuned in to
the BBC,
as their reporting is much more comprehensive and much livelier than what
I could
get on the Flemish TV.
Belgium has an outstanding athlete: Kim Gevaert. Alas, to my frustration,
her second
name was consistently mispronounced. I know the BBC goes to great lengths
to get the
pronunciation of foreign names right. But in this case it went
disastrously wrong. I
was bewildered by the weirdest sounds used for the vowel in the second
syllable,
ranging from the absolutely ludicrous vowel like in 'girl' to the somewhat
less
objectionable sound as in 'bad'. Of course I'm well aware of the enormous
difficulty
presented to a foreign speaker. Flemish names have often retained the old
traditional , in fact mediaeval and in the early 19th century still current ,
spelling of the long a-sound: ae (the e indicating the length of the
vowel). The
problem for an English speaker was considerably exacerbated by the fact
that it
would be impossible for him to know which syllable should be stressed.
Even for a
native speaker it might be a problem, were it not that Gevaert is a rather
common
name in Flanders. As a matter of fact, the stress is on the 1st syllable. The
correct pronunciation should be : g-long e (approximately like in
'day'-v-long
a-r-t, stress on the 1st syllable.
The question that kept milling around in my mind was: isn't there anybody
around at
the BBC able to inform the reporters about a more or less acceptable
pronunciation?

Best regards,

Roger Hondshoven

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, Roger!

Much depends on your particular email program.  If you are not able to go
in and edit the spam filter (i.e., take our address out), then I suggest
you contact the administrator and request that they do so.

Folks, please make sure the subject lines of your posting submissions have
at least "LL-L" in them.  Without that it's really hard for me to pick
your messages out of a bunch of garbage mail.  This is all the more
important while I'm using a somewhat unfamiliar system here in California.

Thanks.