LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 25 19:42:06 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws)

From: "jonny" <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.08.24 (03) [E]

Dear Reinhard,

you wrote:

> My prediction
> is that, should Low Saxon continue, flourish and turn into a genuine
> alternative code outside traditional contexts, this novel feeling would
> fade away and shades of social distance and proximity would become
> apparent.

But- how would you like to explain the fact that this 'special feeling' of
being closer to each other also could happen in a talk with e.g. a person
from the Netherlands, using 'Neddersaksisch' on one and  me using
'Neddersassisch' on the other side? Or the same with 'Plautdietsch' in
overseas, as I experienced myself?
These persons, I guess, cannot feel familiar from their origin- or do they
at last?

At the moment I couldn't imagine the same effect with any Friesian (though I
don't speak Friesian at all) speaker, though they don't live far from here,
are Germans as I am and moreover could be members of a very similar social
group.

Allerbest

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm