LL-L "Traditions" 2005.08.31 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 31 17:54:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.AUG.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2005.08.31 (05) [E]

Beste Críostóir,

You wrote:

>On the subject of food, does anyone know why the eating of horses did not
>spread to Northern Europe? I am aware in Ireland and the Highlands of
>Scotland this may have come down to cultural taboos (now completely and
>utterly lost) based on the eating of horses being reserved for the
>"enthronement" of kings and chiefs, a practice which was a survival of
>Celtic mythology. But why did Germanic cultures not eagerly follow the
>avenue of eating horses? After all, it's better meat than pig or lamb,
>surely?

>Go raibh maith agat,

I can't answer your question, but would like to make a little correction:
here in Brabant, horse meat has always been quite popular. Moreover,
personally, it's my favorite meat.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: sam s claire <gamlhs at juno.com>

Criostoir wondered about why horses were not served on the tables of the
Germanics.  Maybe because it induced sore throats (just kidding).  It
seems to me that horses were far more valuable as transportation and for
work.  Who was it that offered his kingdom for a horse?  Was that because
he was hungry or he needed a means to ride?  And how do know it's better
than pork and lamb?  (You can bet on which I'd choose: beefsteak v
stallionsteak.)

Sid

----------

> On the subject of food, does anyone know why the eating of horses did
> not spread to Northern Europe? I am aware in Ireland and the Highlands
> of Scotland this may have come down to cultural taboos (now completely
> and utterly lost) based on the eating of horses being reserved for the
> "enthronement" of kings and chiefs, a practice which was a survival of
> Celtic mythology. But why did Germanic cultures not eagerly follow the
> avenue of eating horses? After all, it's better meat than pig or lamb,
> surely?
>
> Go raibh maith agat,
>
> Criostóir.

Isn't the case that animals that lead active lives such  as horses
generally have tougher meat because of muscle development?

David Barrow

-------------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Not only were horses most valuable for transport, as Sam says above, but
pre-Christian Saxons also attributed some sort of spiritual significance to
horses, and horses used to serve as ritual sacrifices.  A remnant of that
may well be the stylized crossed wooden horse heads symbol on the gable tops
of traditional Saxon houses.
http://www.ehrhorn-no1.de/haus/bilder/pferdeko.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/6/6b/Buchholzer_wappen.jpg/100px-Buchholzer_wappen.jpg

This type of gable decoration can also be found in Northern Poland and
throughout the Baltic countries, namely everywhere Saxons settled.  Is there
any sign of them in Britain?

I assume that not eating horse meat carried over to the descendants of Saxon
in Britain.  Also, as I have mentioned at least once before, Saxon warriors
both on the Continent and in Britain were buried with their horses.

Having said that, though, in our neighborhood of Hamburg there used to be a
horse butcher's shop which my father (like many others) liked to frequent.
(Oh, dear! How Continental, indeed!)  We children didn't want to have any
part of that, not only because of the poor horsies but also because the meat
was extraordinarily tough, most likely that of retired draught horses ...
There was drama everytime, and any complaints from us children would result
in long stories about the hardships of the early postwar years and how good
we were having it.   And horse sausage? Yuck!  The smell alone ...  I
encountered it again in Central Asia, not to my delight, I must say, and
refusing food or drink as a guest in Mongol, Kazakh, Kyrghyz or Uyghur homes
is not a good thing.