LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.30 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 1 05:12:07 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 30 November 2005 * Volume 09

From:  jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.28 (07) [E]

Message of Eybe Siemens

quotes:
*Deer Mister Hahn,

I thank you for your anser. My name is Eybe and not Junior-Jonny and I learn
english at my school. I'm 11 years old and I like it not.

Your Eybe Siemens*
end of quotes

A new fan of yours???

Allerbest; thanks

Jonny

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hello, Eybe!

Thank you so much for your e-mail message!  That was a nice surprise.

I am sorry to hear you don't enjoy learning English.  Hopefully that will
change as you learn more and don't have to work so hard at it anymore,
especially once you realize that English is the key to many interesting
things all over the world.

Sorry also about "Junior-Jonny."  It was meant to be a joke, but it wasn't a
good one.

Let me add a few notes to what I said about "kitchen."

The Vulgar Latin words are pronounced with a long "i": cucīna, cocīna, but
the usual spelling is cucina, cocina.  The Classical Latin equivalent is
_coquina_ (_coquīna_).  This comes from the verb _coquere_ (with a short "e"
and with emphasis on the first syllable: _cóquĕre_) 'to cook'.

Old Saxon (the ancestor of "Plattdeutsch") has _kukina_ for 'kitchen', and
today's _Kœken_ (or _Kœk_) has been derived from it.  But in between came
Middle Saxon _kokene_.

Old English has _cycene_ for 'kitchen'.  In earlier times it was pronounced
like "kükene", later like "kütschene."  We can be quite sure that this came
from *_cucene_ and earlier *_cucina_.  Middle English dialects have
_kichene_, _kycchene_ and _kichen_, and these were pronounced like
"kitschene" and "kitschen," in some dialects perhaps also like "kütschene."

Old German has _chuhhîna_, which was probably pronounced like "kuchiena."
Middle German has _küchen_ and _küche_, and today's German word _Küche_
developed from it.

All these words show you that these languages are related and that all words
have histories, "etymologies," and many of them came from the same source.
Your dad is very interesting in this sort of thing.

Your dad already mentioned that the German word _Kittchen_ (English 'jail',
'poke') comes from a word for a small hut or shelter ("Kate" or "Kote").
Its older form was something like *_Küttchen_.  The basic word has a long,
long history.  Originally it meant "building" (in contrast to a "tent" or
"yurt" in which nomads live).  In many Asian languages it (_kota_) has come
to mean 'town' or 'city' (as in "Kalkutta" 'city of Kali', "Kota Singapura"
'city of the lion (city)', and "Huhehot" < "Kökekota" 'blue city').

So, no, there is not connection between English "kitchen" and German
_Kittchen_.  I can understand your thinking very well, though.  When I was
your age I had to help in the kitchen and sometimes had to wash the dishes
or clean the floor all by myself.  When there were many dishes to wash and I
heard children play outside the kitchen did seem very much like a
_Kittchen_.

Thanks again, and best wishes with everything!

Friendly regards,