LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.12.01 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 2 01:14:09 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 December 2005 * Volume 09

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.30 (08) [A/E]

Beste Vlad

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Baie dankie, Mark, I'm trying my best:)

> Ja, Bulgaars:) Dit het eweneens die bepaalde lidwoord.
> Dankie vir die skimp.
Mark, no skimp intended: Bulgarian DOES happen to be the only analytical
Slavic language and THE only one having definite article -- post-positive,
like Romanian, or definiteness flexion, as jy wil:) Ron, confirm?

'Skimp' in a pleasant way - a 'hint' I mean to follow up: Thanks.

> Waar ondervind jy die probleme?
Two this far: (i) too little time to make the sessions regular and (ii)
no native speaker around to pick the right pronunciation from and ask the
occasional question:) You don't mind my writing to you direct from time to
time, asking questions?

Maak maar vry - feel free! On the other hand, it denies you (& spares me)
the input of other Afrikaans speakers on the list. As you please.

Die Uwe, Mark.

----------

From: Obiter Dictum <obiterdictum at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.30 (08) [A]

Ron wrote:
> Romanian (which, like Latin, has suffixed definite articles), it is a
> preserved ancient feature.
Latin? Classical, NOT SERMO VVLGARIS?? Ron, please, could you expand a bit?
Also, a question: What do y'all think of the "restored" Classical Latin
pronunciation? Hopeless or not, does, for example, W. Sidney Allen's Vox
Latina: A Guide to the Pronunciation of Classical Latin have any point?
Thans to everybody-
Vlad Lee

TO IAN POLLOCK:
Dear Ian,
I'm sorry I paid more attention to levity than to the substance discussing
"inexistent" "byt'" in Russian. My statement needs thorough qualification.
Like many practicing lawyers, I'm most busiest on Thursdays and Fridays,
with frequent overflows into Saturdays. So I'm not fleeing:)

Best regards.
Vlad Lee

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Vlad!

> Latin? Classical, NOT SERMO VVLGARIS?? Ron, please, could you expand a
> bit?

Well, this takes us off the Lowlands path, but here goes, briefly.

By "Classical" I mean the officially written language of the Roman Empire,
as opposed to "Vulgar" Latin (_sermo vulgaris_) varieties, Medieval Latin
and Ecclesiastic Latin.

All of them have suffixed articles, though Modern Romance uses separate ones
in addition to old articles that have now become gender markers (_-us_ >
_-o_ > [zero], _-um_ > _-o_ ~ _-u_ > [zero], _-a_ > _- at _ > [zero]).  Only
Eastern Romance (Romanian, Arumanian, etc.) retained the old system (e.g.,
masculine _-ul_). This is similar to Old Norse and Modern Icelandic (e.g.,
masculine _-r_) and suffixed definite articles in Scandinavian (e.g., _-en_
and _-et_).  Yes, this is what Bulgarian has (_-t_).

Did I answer your question, Vlad?

안녕, 친구!