LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 4 10:14:17 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 04 December 2005 * Volume 01

From: Paul Tatum <ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.03 (01) [E]

greetings all,

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> Subject: LL-L "Grammar"
> 2005.12.01 (12) [E]

> I don't think there's any evidence that people actually think
> generatively when they use language, unless they've been trained to
> do this and build sentences from words and rules in the way many
> people are taught to speak (or fail to speak, more like!) a foreign
> language. You might compare the performance of learners who learn to
> generate sentences from rules and vocabulary with those who just
> learn phrases and stuff until they find they can use them, and then
> decide whether language in practice is generative or exemplary.

Ah-ha! I think we might be coming at this in slightly different angles.
I don't really see us running through some sort of mental algorithm
'now, i need a sentence to express "....". Right, I need rule 1: S
-->NP, VP. etc, etc. but those sort of rules do seem to be a good way to
describe the way that language is structured, which is all that syntax
means. Of course language learning is exemplary, in that you hear people
(dear ol' mama)  speaking to you, you start to make sense of the
gobbledygook by context and by 'recognising' an  order/sytem in what is
said to you. Syntax tries to make the order explicit and it tries to
make it easy to talk about the structure that exemplars display.Your
exemplars still have to be chosen in order to illustrate the rules of
the language in a logical and progressive manner. You can't just throw
random stuff at learners and hope. To return to Pidgin languages, I
suppose that another way of saying that they are close to universal
grammar is to say that they need smaller sets of exemplar sentences to
learn them than 'standard' (non-Pidgin) languages and that the rules
illustrated by those exemplars tend also to appear in the exemplars of
non-Pidgin languages. I was told that it was possible to learn enough
Pidgin English in Papua New Guinea in 3 months to get employment in the
civil service, while standard english of similar grade would take a
couple of years.

> I would agree that learners find generative grammars useful in
> accelerating their learning by short-cutting some of their problems
> but too much dependence on genrative rules leads to failure in
> language learning and I think this is an indication that it's not
> really a good description of how languages _work_, just a record of
> the more predictable aspects of a language at some point in time.

Learn a language via a generative grammar? what now? no, noo, nooo...
You'll have me eating food as raw proteins and carbohydrates next!
Anyway, I thought most language teaching is still done via 'traditional'
grammar and example sentences/everyday scenes? And the best tool is
practice.

Yours, Paul Tatum.