LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.04 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 4 23:55:09 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 04 December 2005 * Volume 04

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.04 (02) [E]

Jonny wrote:
> following all the discussions about language correctness vs
> on-street-changings I found out there to be two sides: the feeling one,
> represented in special by two engaged women, and the rational one with
Sandy
> and Gary.
>
> One side representing conservatism, the other one the
> 'delete-to-rebuild'-league?
>
> Is it a matter of sex? A matter of the 'little difference' between male
and
> female structures? The males (mallards?? ;-) being more protagonistically,
> open for renewels and pragmatism, while the females tend to treat
languages
> (and not only them) with more care?
>
> In modern business structures this difference is used deliberately because
> of its great efficiency.

Pu-leeze! You're building statistics based on four samples, with categories
that you made up according to your own biased gut feeling? Need I really
mention that my husband and my other male best friend feel the same way that
I described, and at least as passionately? And that the author of the famous
"Zwiebelfisch" series, who is carrying a torch for the beauty of traditional
language use, is a man? And that the person who, in Germany, has made the
most money from a blatant disregard for the language, namely one Verona
Pooth, nee Feldbusch, is as feminine as they come? Ugh.

By the way, I will be having a timeout for anywhere between three and twelve
days starting tomorrow, so please don't reply anything too provoking (I know
you were trying to bait me with your gender stereotypes) because I won't be
able to rise to the occasion. ;-)

Gabriele Kahn