LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 5 18:54:58 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 05 December 2005 * Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.04 (03) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> The only remaining question in this specific context is if a given
> shift must take all these steps or if it can skip any (i.e., if a
> shift can go directly from /k/, /t/ or /p/ to [?] or if it must go
> step by step).  In Chinese, as I had demonstrated, /k/, /t/ and /p/
> all became [?] and in many dialects disappeared altogether.  In
> Estuary English of Southeastern England, and in many other English and
> Scots dialects of Britain, /t/ is realized as a glottal stop, not so
> /k/.  We could see that as evidence of direct shift, perhaps a shift
> of "convenience": easier pronunciation and clearer distinction between
> /T/ and /t/ -- a backward shift in any case.

Note that in some Scots dialects both /t/ and /k/ are realised as
glottal stops, but I don't know about /p/.

/t/ isn't replaced by a glottal stop in all positions. I worked out the
rule for /t/ -> [?] in Scots a few years ago when I was studying
phonology. Phew! Looking back at my notes I see I need to brush up on it
all again! But the rule I worked out was:

"[t] is replaced with [?] when it follows a sonorant. In many dialects
this doesn't happen at the start of a stressed syllable."

Sonorants are /l/, /r/, /n/, /m/, /N/ and vowels.

Examples:

<hotel> [ho'?El] or [ho'tEl]
<bottle> ['bo?=l]
<tatties> ['tQ:?Iz]
<want> [wQ:n?]
<saft> [sa:ft]

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.04 (09) [E]

This silly sounding "upspeak" has infected USA, beginning from the West
Coast (airborne from Australia?) and is heard in use by "yuppie marketing
folks, usually female and younger (<40). It is annoying as it conveys false
information in speech (it signals a question, when a declaritive statement
is intended.

Karl Schulte (of Emden, via Texas)