LL-L "Names" 2005.12.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 6 01:34:47 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 05 December 2005 * Volume 04

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.04 (03) [E]

  From Reinhard/Ron
  ___
  Hawaiian:
  * makamaka (friend, mate; cf. LS makker!)

  We have "mucker" as mate in English too!

  Fascinating stuff about Polynesian; Maori was in fact the first "foreign"
language I tried to learn, as a kid in New Zealand.  Unfortunately the only
Maori kid I knew was shy about speaking it, and his family didn't like
Pakeha anyway.

  Paul