LL-L "Honors" 2005.12.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 12 23:51:55 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 12 December 2005 * Volume 02

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Honors" 2005.12.10 (05) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

Pualalokupukupu<

I love it!  I shall adopt it  instantly and insist on being called nothing
else when I am carrying my large bag brought back from Hawaii by my
daughter last year and filling up the bird feeder coconut ( same source)
and wearing my lei/beads ( ditto)

Or have I misunderstood the thread? Is it Maori ?

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Honors

Mahalo, Heather!

It is indeed Hawaiian (with off-the-top-of-my-head Proto-Polynesian
reconstructions).

Yours is a lovely "tribal" name, if I may say so myself.  It is one of those
I conceived in one of my shamanic possessions.  However, I might as well
break the news to you that your village nickname is the following:

Inoa-Hakupuke-Hemea'ole
(< *Ingoa-Fatupute-Femeakore)
haku puke (writer)
he mea 'ole (not worth mentioning)
inoa (name)

Below are some more tribal names in lieu of gold stars.  Any non-lurker
believing he or she is worthy of one may apply at my private address, and I
shall hope it comes to me during one of my future posessions.

(Kahuna)

*****

CRÍOSTÓIR:
Lā'aukupuna
(< *Rākautupuna)
kupuna (ancestor)
lā'au (war club)

***

ELSIE:
Manumele-luna-'Āinakula
(< *Manumere-runga-Kāinga(gold))
'āina (land)
kula (< gold)
luna (above)
manu (bird)
mele (song, poem)
manu mele (songbird)

***

GUSTAAF:
Hakahōkū-Aoulikomohana
(< *Fatafōtū-Aouritomohana)
aouli (firmament)
haka (gaze)
hōkū (star(s))
komohana ("enterer (of the sea)" = west, occident)

***

HENNO:
Loa'apuna-lalo-Kākahiko
(< Roakapuna-raro-Tātahito)
kā (groundcover, vine)
kahiko (ancient)
lalo (beneath)
loa'a (find)
puna ((water) spring)

***

JACQUELINE:
'Uki'ukikehamoku
(< *Kutikutitefamotu)
keha (pride, dignity, lofty)
moku (island)
'uki'uki (lily, _Dianella sandwicensis_)

***

JAN S.:
Leihua-Mōkilahākei
(< *Reihua-Mōtirahākei)
hākei (proud(ly), glory, glorious(ly))
hua (word)
lei (lei, necklace)
mōkila (to string)

***

LUC H.:
Mālamalamamamaha
(< Māramaramamamafa)
ma (at, in, on, beside, along, through; by means of)
maha (wings of flying fish)
mālamalama (radiance, light of knowledge, enlightenment)

***

LUC V.:
Pua'ā-o-Kai
(< *Puakā-o-Tai)
pua (flower)
'ā (fire)
o kai (of the lowland)

***

MIKE S.:
Kūpina'ileonui
(< *Tūpingakireonui)
kūpina'i (echo, reverberation)
leo (voice)
nui (great, many, countless)

***

MIKE W.:
Wāloa
(< *Wāroa)
loa (distant, faraway)
wā (roar)

***

PAT:
Hulihalekahiko
(< *Furitfaretahito)
hale (house, building)
huli (search, examine, research, study)
kahikio (ancient)

***

ROGER T.:
'Imimakamae'ike
(< *Kimimatamaekite)
'ike (knowledge)
'imi (seek, search)
makamae (treasure)

***

UTZ:
Haka-Aloha-Mana'e
(< *Fata-Alofa-Mangake)
aloha (love, kindness, loving, kind, gentle)
haka (gaze)
mana'e (eastward)