LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 14 03:15:48 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 13 December 2005 * Volume 03

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.13 (02) [E]

Heather wrote:
> Frequently a child will use its name instead as if referring to a 3rd
> person " Pick Janie up"  " Mummy tie Janie shoe"
>
> Isn't this indicative of the non-I state of awareness too?

No, this is indicative of parents who insist on exposing their children to
"baby talk" themselves - we've all heard them many times: "Not now, Mommy is
tired", or "What did Mommy just say?". They just reap what they sow.

My oldest had a brief period of two weeks or so when she had only just
started to talk and would call herself "mir" (me) instead of "ich" (I): "Mir
bamm aua" (I fell and it hurt - the "bamm" part being a somewhat cartoony
description) or "Mir ist tanzen" (I feel like dancing). I think she got this
from correct constructions such as "Mir ist kalt" (I feel cold). She started
to talk very suddenly at the age of 18 months, from one day to the next, and
tried to use what she thought were correct grammatical rules from day one. I
know she always observed me very closely even as a young infant, much more
so than the others, and she must have tried to analyse and understand my
speech patterns long before she decided she knew enough to try them out.

At the same time, she had a name for herself, "Mena" (meaning "Marleen"),
that she used in appropriate context. This was similar with my other two
daughters; they never heard those "Come to Mommy constructions", and
therefore were never fooled into believing that this is how people actually
talk. Babies are so much smarter than they ever get credit for!

Jonny:
> glad to see you back without lack...

Only briefly, though, my next, bigger surgery will take place some time
after Christmas.

Gabriele Kahn