LL-L "Etymology" 2005.12.14 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 14 15:32:24 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 14 December 2005 * Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Leeve Reinhard un anner Lowlanners,
(Engl. below)

vöör'n Stood haar ick mol nofroogt, woneem de Snack _af/ab trimo_, in de
Neicht van: G:'Los geht's', 'weg mit Schaden', 'geh fort!', 'weg damit!'; op
Ingelsch  'come on', 'get off with this stuff!' or 'I don't want to engage
here any longer' woll van aff koomt.

Ick haar gliek an Franzöös'schen Orsprong dacht, un mi dücht, wat ick dat nu
rut funnen hebb:
Franz.: 'à trimard' koomt schient 's ut de franz. Gaunersprook/Rotwelsch un
heet souveel as G: 'Auf die Landstraße (mit Dir)!', E:'Hit the road!'.

Waard dat noch jichenswo annerwärts bruukt?

English:

Some days ago I asked for the origin of the LS/Northern German idiom _af/ab
trimo_, in it's meaning near to G:'Los geht's', 'weg mit Schaden', 'geh
fort!', 'weg damit!'; E: 'come on', 'get off with this stuff!' or 'I don't
want to engage here any longer'.

I presumed it to be a French loan and I now guess I have got it:
French: 'à trimard' is 'thieve's Latin' and means in origin something like
G: 'Auf die Landstraße (mit Dir)!', E:'Hit the road!'.

Is it still anywhere in use?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Besten Dank, leyve Jonny. Nu Du dat nochmaal verklaarst, kümt my düsse
segwys' ook wedder in 't besinnen. Har ik al mayst vergeten.  Düt is 'n
byspeel vun 't probleem mit de schryvwys' mit "o" vör /aa/: trimard >
*trimaar > /triimaa/ [tri"mQ:] ~ [trii"mo:].

Thanks a lot, Jonny. Now that you've explained it, I've started remembering
this expression, had almost forgotten it.  It's an example of the spelling
<o> for /aa/ obscuring a word's origin: trimard > *trimaar > /triimaa/
[tri"mQ:] ~ [trii"mo:].

"Hit the road!" is indeed a good translation in the original sense.  Today's
meanings include "Off you go!", "Hit the road!", "Get on with it!", "Cut
your losses!", "Enough of this! Let's be off!", "Been there. Done that.
Next!"

Kumpelmenten,