LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 15 18:11:12 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 December 2005 * Volume 03

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.14 (03) [E]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.12.13 (03) [E]
>
> Yes!!! And it's a question of politeness, too, not only to foreign
> speakers. What a desaster already, if a text contains too many very
> modern, short-living idioms- sometimes impossible to find out their
> special meaning.

while its best to try and communicate clearly, i wouldnt want to act all
condescending towards foreign speakers or feed them with baby talk or
speech at their own level so that their language never improves. how do
i know what they dont know? how do i know that they only want simple
language and wouldnt rather be pushed to learn all the good stuff? if
they tell me they cant understand i can take paraphrastic measures then.

> That's a real problem in writing LS- even if you switched off the
> correction-tools they still work in some special words, in English as
> well as in Standard German. It (Office XP Pro) doesn't give up at all,
> and that's a great inconvenience.

if this is what it sounds like, you need to go to "AutoCorrect" on the
"Tools" menu, find the words that you dont want corrected, and delete
the autocorrection entries for them.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> Ah, but then you run the risk of even more people having crushes on
> you and of having to beat them off with a stick!

terrible, isnt it? and jonny a married man, too!

sandy fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From:  Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>

From: Andrys Onsman
Re: Orthography
To: Sandy & Ron

As an Australian poet once succintly wrote, gentlemen, "I dips me lid!"
Your erudition and perspicacity is truly inspiring, and one of the
reasons I read the messages on this list when I am really far too busy.
But I do want to know if Ron is cleverly making a point with
"abolishion" or not. I'm not being overly pedantic because in either
case it fits in seamlessly into the conversation, and as far as I know
it may be a perfectly acceptable spelling. Sandy, I'm not sure if having
a crush on you (the last one was Jeltje in Grade 5) is quite the same
thing but feel free to bask in my admiration if you keep away from sticks.

Regards
Andrys

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

G'day, Andrys, mate!

The admiration goes both ways, as far as I am concerned, and one of your
rare visitations is an event well worth marking.

> But I do want to know if Ron is cleverly making a point with
> "abolishion" or not.

Well, dear friend, don't I make points all the time and all over the place?
Apparently I sometimes make them without noticing it myself, which may well
be ascribably to my shamanic alter-ego's stirrings (apparently those of the
big kahuna of a spirit guide that is following me, as someone calling
herself "Raven Dreamer" once tried to explain to me ...).

And talking of such, given also that you have made my morning, that this is
a rare opportunity of basking in your scintillating presence, and that
recognition is long overdue, I have gone into another one of my kahunic
trances (simply by watching file after file going by in the process of
downloading the anniversary pages to my harddrive) and have been given a
most noble-sounding Hawaiian name to bestow upon you:

Ko'i'ulalalo-Mōlīkīkaha
(< Tokikurararo Mōrīkītafa)
kīkaha (glide, soar)
ko'i'ula (rainbow-hued mist)
lalo (leeward, lee, southern)
mōlī (albatross)

(Naturally, this albatross is not to be mistaking for the one around
anyone's neck.)

> Sandy, I'm not sure if having
> a crush on you (the last one was Jeltje in Grade 5) is quite the same
> thing but feel free to bask in my admiration if you keep away from sticks.

If I may interject something here before you two get a room ... You may have
noticed that Sandy's rugged Lowlands Scottish charm with a starkly gothic
touch is quite irresistable  -- lock, stick and barrel --  even to the
otherwise impervious; and I can vouch for the fact that he is a superb tango
dancer, too. This is why he has more admirers than he can wave a stick at
... though he keeps trying. I am afraid that this is bound to build up in
this season until his birthday on Hogmaney (New Year's).  It therefore
behooves us to be strong until sometime in January at least.

Cheerio!