LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.30 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 30 22:04:05 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 30 December 2005 * Volume 02

From: "Paul Finlow-Bates" <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.28 (04) [E]

From: "Henry Pijffers"
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.24 (04) [E]

.... When pronouncing the -d at the
end of either hoed or had, my mouth is in the same position as when
pronouncing a regular voiced d, only the sound produced isn't voiced.
This resembles a t, but the position of the mouth is different from when
pronouncing a t. For a d there is an opening between my front teeth,
whereas for a t there hardly is any.

Henry

From: "Gary Taylor"
Subject: LL-L Phonology

Hi Ingmar and all

you wrote about 'is' /Iz/ changing to /Is/ before
voiceless consonants. This is only partly true in
English. The main difference in final voiced and
voiceless consonants in English is the length of the
previous vowel. Vowels before voiced consonants in
English are slightly tenser and longer than those
before voiceless consonants.
Gary

Both of these things depend on which dialect, or even idiolect, of English
(or I
suspect anything else) you use.  If I say the word "don't", my tongue
starts and
ends in exactly the same position, against my lower teeth, touching the
gum.  If I
mouth it silently, the "d" and "t" are indistinguishable.  The same goes
for "tide"
- but in that case, the tongue sits against my upper teeth in both cases,
close to
the incisor edge.  I'm sure other people could say both words with tongues
in either
position, and sound exactly the same as me.

  Just experimenting with German, I seem to favour the upper tooth
position for both
"d" and "t", thought the "d" in definite articles seems to be all over the
place:
upper for -der- and -die-, lower for -das-, -den- and -des-.

  Paul