LL-L "Etymology" 2005.02.05 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 6 00:52:02 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.FEB.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From:  Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: Haane

Moi Reinhard,

Haan (de) Vergeef mi'j mien spellingsfoute 't is niet haane mar hane. (Zuud
west zuud) haene. (Neij Dordrecht) haon.

De Holidays: waor stamt dat woord eigenlek uut?
Ik heb een vermoeden dat 't de hillige dagen bint a'k 't niet good hebbe
graag een aandere oplossing.

goodgaon,
Arend Victorie

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Moyen, beste Arend!

> Haan (de) Vergeef mi'j mien spellingsfoute 't is niet haane mar hane.

Ja, klaar. Man de (voer my) belangryke vraag' vun wegen _-e_ blivt bestaan.

> De Holidays: waor stamt dat woord eigenlek uut?
> Ik heb een vermoeden dat 't de hillige dagen bint a'k 't niet good hebbe
> graag een aandere oplossing.

Uut dat _Oxford English Dictionary_:

***
[OE. _háliƽdæƽ_ (dat. pl. _háliƽdaƽum_), found beside the uncompounded
_háliƽ dæƽ_ in two words (dat. pl. _hálƽum daƽum_). In the combined form OE.
_á_ instead of being rounded to ME. _ô_, was shortened to _a_ (cf. HALLOW,
HALLOWMAS, HALIBUT, HALIDOM), giving _halidai_, _halliday_, used till 16th
c. But the uncombined form was in concurrent use, and became more frequent
as the distinction in signification between sense 1 and sense 2 became more
marked, until, in the 16th c., _holy day_ or _holy-day_ became the usual
form in sense 1. About the same time _holiday_ (_holliday_), with _o_ short,
being a later combination and shortening of _holy day_, rare in late ME.,
took the place of the earlier _haliday_, which however remained in the
northern dialects, where also (esp. in Scotland) the uncombined form was
_haly day_.
  It is thus difficult to divide _holiday_ and _holy-day_ in sense 1. Under
this article are included the combined forms _haliday_, _holiday_; the
uncombined forms, as well as those in which the vocalization shows that the
word was analyzed, are treated under HOLY-DAY. But the habits of mediæval
scribes as to the combination or separation of the elements of compounds
were so irregular, and the treatment of the matter by modern editors is so
uncertain, that many ME. instances might be placed under either article.]
    1. A consecrated day, a religious festival. Now usually written
HOLY-DAY, q.v.
    α 950 _Lindisf. Gosp_. Mark iii. 2 Hueðer on haliƽdaƽum ƽeƽemde [_Rushw.
G._ ƽif he halƽes dæƽes ƽiƽemde]. a1035 _Laws of Cnut_ II. c. 45 (Schmid) Be
hali-dæiƽes freolse. De die dominica et festis observandis. a1225 _Ancr. R._
18 if hit is halidei … siggeð Pater Noster. _Ibid._ 24 Ine werkedawes,
heihte & twenti Pater Nosters; ine helidawes, forti. a1300 _Cursor M._ 6473
Hald þou wel þin halidai. 1362 LANGL. _P. Pl._ A. VIII. 22 Þei holdeþ not
heore haly~day [_B._ halidayes, _C._ halydaies] as holy churche [_B._
holi~cherche, _C._ holychurche] techeþ. c1386 CHAUCER _Miller's T._ 154 This
Absolon. Gooth with a Sencer on the haliday. 1426 AUDELAY _Poems_ 6 In
clannes kepe ƺour haleday. c1440 _Promp. Parv._ 222/2 Halyday (_K._
halliday), _festivitas_. c1450 MYRC 203 Aske the banns thre halydawes. 1481
CAXTON _Reynard_ (Arb.) 28 Goo to chirche, faste and kepe your halydayes.
1530 PALSGR. 228/2 Halyday, _feste_.
***

It seems to me that American English dialects are more conservative in this
regard; they use "holiday" for special days, have not extended its use to
vacation days.  (Remember that holidays used to be the only days off work
before sometime in the early 20th century in most countries.)