LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.02.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 11 15:45:46 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.FEB.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From:  Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Anniversary" 2005.02.10 (03) [E]

Hello Ron,

I have undertaken to read the "Tuinkoninkie' in Afrikaans for our
anniversary.
Patienze, patienze...

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From:  Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Ron wrote:
"As you can see, the European English representation is particularly
pitiful,
at least quantitatively (while Gary's Estuary presentation makes up for some
of the scarcity). It would be really nice to have at least one or two more
translations (preferably with sound files) of England English."

I have avoided doing so for Nottingham English for the simple reason that I
am not satisfied with any orthography I have used so far on this list. I
would prefer to use a kind of pan-West Germanic spelling system but this
gives NE an alien look; on the other hand, when I use standard English
orthography, NE has a "dialect" look that precludes it being taken
seriously, especially by myself. The same is true of Cornish English, for
which I could also provide a translation.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Elsie (suddetto):

> Patienze, patienze...

Benissimo! Ma... "gioventù" e "pazienza"...?  È una contraddizione
terminologica.  ;-)

Críostóir (above):

Why not get in touch with Gary?  (He has been transcribing some.)  Perhaps
you could do the recording, and we could come up with an IPA version only.

But, Críostóir, there are always some people who will think that written
"dialect" looks ridiculous (and that "dialect" is silly anyway, written or
spoken).  If we allowed them to call the shots we'd get nowhere.