LL-L "Introductions" 2005.02.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 22 16:15:19 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.FEB.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  "jverhoeven" <jverhoeven at xtra.co.nz>
Subject:  Introduction for Anniversary

Hi Reinhard

I have been a observer on your list for some time, with no linguistic
qualifications at all (currently working in bulk wine brokerage, but years
spent in veterinary nursing), just someone born in The  Netherlands and
bought up in New Zealand - speaking both English and Dutch - which when I
went to Europe in my twenties and then was outdated - which  shows how
language changes.  What bought me to the list was discovering recently that
my natural father was from Friesland and visiting there 4 years ago, I was
curious about the language as it seemed both so different and yet sometimes
familiar in comparison to both English and Dutch.

I really  enjoy the postings on the list - a lot of which are way above my
understanding - but very interesting in showing and tracing how language has
developed and how people moved around through the centuries.

Regards
Joyce [Verhoeven]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Introduction

Hi, Joyce!

Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome to the vocal tip of the
iceberg!  It's great meeting you.

Your mentioning an interest in Frisian leads me to address the List: "Mear
Frysk, folk! Mear Frysk sprake en kultuer op 'e List, asjebleaft!"

Hey, Joyce and other Kiwis, how about some New Zealand contents once in a
while, or even the occasional whakangahau to spice things up and get people
in going?

Folks, those of you who have not already done so, and that's most of you,
please consider submitting (to sassisch at yahoo.com) a personal introduction
for the 10th anniversary site currently under construction -- just a few
words about yourselves (whatever feels OK to you) and about what brought you
to Lowlands-L and what have been your experiences with it -- ideally with a
picture of you.  It doesn't have to be in English.  If you write one, please
let us know clearly that it is for the anniversary site.  Thanks.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net