LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 23 16:32:43 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Wren Gothic

An Chara,

In composing a Wren sequence in Ulfilistine Gothic, I find myself confronted
by a writer's block of epic proportions: I cannot find the Gothic word for
"wren".

Judging from other old Germanic remnants, it may have been similar to the
Icelandic
"rindill", or perhaps warenda or similar. I recall seeing wrens --and many
other
songbirds-- in the Balkans, but that was before the wars of the 1990s.
However, it is
likely safe to posit that they existed in and around Nicopolis (Trnovo) in
the second half of the fourth century current era, where much of Wulfila's
Gospel was probably written.

Could one or more of you lowlanders out there solve this one for me?
If not, could I substitute sparwa (sparrow)?

Mind you, I am quite prepared to hear that there is indeed a well known
Gothic word for our little bird, but I was merely too stupid to find it.

Thank you all for your kind help.

Arthur

"Ik ni im waidedja."
------Richard Nixon

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hi, Arthur!

If you can't find the word for 'wren' you could always either substitute it
(e.g.,  'sparrow') or reconstruct one on the basis of Old English _wrenna_,
_wrenne_, Old Saxon _wrendilo_ and Old German (_kuning_, _kuningil_,
_kuningilîn_, _kuningilo_, _kuningilîhîn_,) _rentilo_, _rento_ (Modern
Icelandic _rindill_ < Old Norse *_(v)rindill_?).

The Germanic reconstructions are *_wrandjô_, *_wrandja_ and *_wrandjan_.