LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.02.24 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 24 17:15:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.02.23 (05) [E]

>From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
>Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.02.22 (11) [E]
>
>Nice, Diederik! Your version reminds me a of the North Brabant dialects
>from the time I lived in that Dutch province, from 1988 till 2001...
>although it's clearly a Belgium variety. Quite Western Brabant looking,
>from my former Eindhoven point of view, without umlauts, no 'h', etc. and
>not too far from Standard Dutch.
>By the way, is it in the dialect of the city or the province of Antwerp?
>I suppose the latter. Is it recorded too?
>
>Vriendelijk gegroet,
>Ingmar Roerdinkholder

I have some friends in Herenthout (province Antwerp) who do indeed say
"mennekes" (we say mannekes), hie (we say ier), Antwerp is about the most
Western dialect of Brabant so we lack a lot of Eastern peculiarities. 't
Scheldt really is a linguistic border!
I was talking about the city though. I live in Zandvliet (a perifery village
of Ant.) but go to school in Merksem which now is a suburb, so all the
dialect I come into contact with is Aantwaareps.

Of all Brabantish (or maybe even more broad, Belgian) dialects Antwerpish is
said to be the one that resembles Standard Dutch the most. Most
"Antwerpeneirs" think they're speaking good Dutch when they are clearly
speaking some kind of dialectical tussentaal :D (don't know the English
term, sorry)
My dialect is even more Standard Dutch-ish as I'm brought up in a more
Standard language, until short I only had a passive knowledge of the
dialect. Now I'm completely sure about the sounds, but the idiom is a
problem sometimes.

The sound file will come soon :) I need to find my digital photocamera back
to record it, have no microphone so...

Ron/Reinhard: I'll try to make one :)

Diederik Masure

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Diederik (baven):

> Ron/Reinhard: I'll try to make one :)

Un ik schal Dy groten dank weten un Dy as 'n by-speel voer de heyle List
up-boern, myn vründ.

Hold Dy vuchtig!