LL-L "Accents" 2005.02.26 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 26 23:03:49 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Gregory Camp <camp at gwu.edu>
Subject: Accents

I've been waiting in the wings of the list for a while, happy to take in the
multidude of interesting information, but I finally
have something to say! There is a British Library website,
www.collectbritain.co.uk, with various pictures and maps about
the history of Britain, and the've recently put on a massive collection of
recordings of dialect interviews. They have had a lot
of northern England recordings on for a while, but I happened to check the
website today to find that they've added about
600 recordings from all over England! Half are from the 1950s, showing
conservative dialects which are probably extinct,
and half are from the '90s. Projects like this will hopefully allow the
general public to learn about dialects and accents which
may be dying, and may spark some interest in saving them. They might also
help to raise tolerance for other accents and
dialects.

I was in England for a week this summer, and was pleasantly surprised at how
many people spoke local dialects, or at least
with local coloring in their speech. I had had a previous picture of a
country being taken over by a London-based standard.
I wish there were some kind of American project like this one at the British
Library. It seems that people are very quick over
here to judge others based only on their accents. I am a sophomore at a
university in Washington, DC, and I've noticed that
many students with "non-standard" accents change them without realizing it,
under quiet pressure to conform. Texans
seem to have an especially hard time, maybe because our Texan president is
not very well-liked here. I was born in Texas,
so I like the accent even though I don't have it myself. I grew up in
Denver, where having a local "accent" means knowing a
lot of snowboarding terms.

Gregory Camp

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Hi, Gregory!

So we finally managed to entice you out from behind the backdrop, huh?  I'm
delighted we did, and it's good to meet you.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

----------

From: Шевченко <kivvik_ru at mail.ru>

Hi!
Reinhard/Ron wrote:
"There are "good" and "bad" foreign sounds, depending on the listener's
perception based on his or her own cultural conditioning.  The "good" sounds
may be perceived as "exotically charming," while the "bad" ones tend to be
associated with non-speech sounds that are to be avoided in one's own
cultural environment."

My question is: What about Russian accent of English?
How does it sound to the ear of a native speaker?

Veronika

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Accents" 2005.02.25 (01) [E]

Hi Helge e.a

About Schleswig-Holstein Low Saxon in Angeln you said that it was taken
over by the original Sønderjysk population. And that is has guttaral ch
[x] for g and even k.
Did you know that the real (Danish) Sønderjysk has ch [x] for old k too,
in inlaut, not word initially? Of course this is a development via -g- [G]
< k. Danish voiced all old voiceless stops, -k- > -g-, -p- > -b-,
-t- > -d-. In Sønderjysk, this -g- > [G]> -ch- and -b- > -v- > -f-.
The results look a bit like the High German sound shift, but the origin is
different.
Maybe this Sønderjysk ch leads to, or at least supported, Angeln ch in Low
Saxon?

About Dutch ch in former Frisian areas:
I doubt it that the areas you called have been Frisian speaking recently,
except for the Northern parts of Noord-Holland. I know that there is a
widespread theory that Frisian was spoken from Sinkfala (or De Zwin) in
Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, nowadays the Dutch-Belgium border at the coast, untill
the Wadden Sea in SW-Denmark, but that is not based on linguistic evidence.
My own theory is that along the North Sea coast, Western Germanic dialects
with so called Ingvaeonic features were spoken, and Frisian, like English
and Old Saxon, shared these characteristics with these dialects. But that
doesn't mean Frisian was spoken there. We should bear in mind as well that
many of these Ingvaeonic features are not as old as is often believed, and
for instance Old or Middle English is much less Ingvaeonic than its Modern
variety. This means that some of these Ingvaeonisms developped later, and
didn't predate the Anglo-Saxon 'conquest'of Britain. Btw, even Western
Scandinavian (Icelandic, New-Norwegian) has many in common with Western
West-Germanic, where as Eastern Scandinavian (Swedish, Danish) and Eastern
West Germanic (High German, Dutch, Modern Low Saxon) are linguistically
more conservative.

What you say about ch as an hypercorrect imitation of Brabant g (which is
in fact a palatal [G]) is interesting. It's possible too that the
local "Ingvaeonic" coast dwellers had a 'j' pronunciation for old 'g',
because 'g' was used in the orthography for old 'j' as well. Or maybe
there was a development similar to Spanish: 'gh' [G] before e, i, eu,
'g' [g] before a, o, u etc., and the former [G] generalized then?

For g [G] > ch [x], there is a parallel with initial z > s and initial
v > f in Western Dutch. This could have been triggered by immigrants from
Friesland in Amsterdam, as Friasian 'cannot' pronounce z- and v-, nor in
there own language, which has only s- and f-, neither when speaking Dutch.
The prove that this devoicing is new in Western Dutch, and not preserved
from older "Frisian" times, is that old 'th' > 'd', via 'dh', and not 't'
as in Frisian or Scandinavian.

So, old Western Germanic to Western sub standard Dutch:

g > gh [G] > ch [x]        written g-     goed [Gut] > [xut]
f > v  [V] > f             written v-     vuur [Vy:r]> [fy:r]
s > z  [z] > s             written z-     zout [zaut]> [saut]
th> dh [D] > d             written d-     ding [dIN] > [dIN]

First these sounds were voiced, then devoiced again

Ingmar

Helge Tietz hat geschrieben:

>I was always wondering how the Polder-Dutch G-sound was developed because
>originally the areas of Noord- and Zuid-Holland, Utrecht and Zeeland were
>Frisian speaking and nowadays Dutch is an adoption from further south,
>namely Brabant. To my knowledge, modern Frisian does not have a ch-sound
at
>all and sounds fairly soft, a surname such as "Algra" is
pronounced "Algra"
>while in Holland it is "Alchra". I can only assume that when adopting
Dutch