LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.02.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 28 02:37:50 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Rikus Kiers <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.02.27 (02) [E]

Dear Heather,
I remember the plaissance I developed from the aids to memory my teachers in
French, English and German used to vitalize the rules and exceptions.
P.e. Why do the french always say when they mean no : ne....pas. It had
something to do with the roman soldiers having their influence on french
They were expressing no and not one step further.Step=pas
All the aids I do not remember anymore, but what I remember is  a growing
interest in languages because they were all explaining something of the
history in the developiment of language.
So I remember my English teacher who made us say many times behind eachother
the word horse. If you do it very quick and very often you get an old dutch
word Ros, which is also urgermaans for horse.
These aids helped me often more than all grammar and idiom.
By using some of these aids, together with looking for the resemblance with
drents,fries,english and german I could when I was in Sweden easily read a
Swedish paper, without knowing Swedish
Groetjes
 Rikus Kiers