LL-L "Proverbs" 2005.02.28 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 28 20:19:21 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Proverb

Jacqueline and I wrote under "Grammar":

> > “Ieder sien meug sie de boer en kuste het varken onder de staart.
>
> :-D  Nice!  For the "benefit" of others, here's a translation.
>
> "'To each his own,' said the farmer and kissed the pig under its tail."
>
> We have plenty of this kind of saying farther east also, in fact all the
> way
> east to the Polish border and beyond.  I call them "humoristically
> extended
> proverbs" ... But that's another thread.

Below are some examples.  Sorry about the (domestic) abuse bits.  By the
way, I'm leaving the naughtiest ones out.

Kumpelmenten,
Reinhard/Ron

***

HumorISTICALly Extended Proverbs and Sayings in Low Saxon/Low German
(A selection, mostly From Mecklenburg and Western Pomerania, in the original
spelling)

"De Aal sünd tau dür," säd dei oll Fru, don har se sik Marricks braden.
"Eel are too expensive," said the old woman and fried up some earthworms.

"Nu heff di nich so," sääd de Fru to'm Aal un treckt em dat Fell af.
"Now don't make such a fuss," said the woman to the eel and pulled off its
skin.

"Strafe muss sein," säd de Foss, don beet he de Aant denn Kopp af.
"Punishment is a must," (German) said the fox and bit the head off the duck.

"Wenn dat hüüt man ierst Abend wier," säd Hans, "un morgen de Dach hen un
oewermorgen de Sünn unner."
"If only today were evening," said John, "and tomorrow daytime and the day
after tomorrow sunset."

"Wenn't bloss ierst Abend wier, dat de Minsch sien Rauh kricht," säd Hans un
trock sik morgens dei Strümp an.
"If only it were evening already so a guy could get some rest," said John as
he put on his socks in the morning.

"Wäs man nich so ängstlich," säd de Arebor tau de Poch, "dat is glieks
oewer."
"Now don't be so scared," said the stork to the frog, "it's going to be over
in no time."

"Dat sünd hochbeint Johren," säd de Arebor un stünn bet unnern Buk in't
Water.
"These are ("long-legged" =) prosperous times," said the stork while
standing up to its belly in water.

"Is allens gaut afgahn," säd Riedel, keem von't Fischen un har nicks fungen.
"All's well that ends well," said Riedel returning from fishing without a
catch.

"Mien Jung' sall Afkat warn," secht de Bur, "hei kann fon Dach tau Dach
bäder leigen."
"My son is going to be an attorney," said the farmer, "with every passing
day he gets better at lying."

"Dat will 'k woll kriegen," säd de Afkat, don nehm hei 't Geld.
"I'll certainly (get hold =) take care of that," said the attorney taking
the money."

"Dat will'n wi woll kriegen, säd de Afkat, don meen he dat Geld.
"We sure will get it (= work it out)," said the attorney, referring to
money.

"Allens mit Maten," secht de Schnieder un drinkt de Borrermelk ut'n
Fingerhaut.
"Everything (with measure =) in moderation," says the tailor and drinks the
buttermilk out of a thimble.
(Tailors and buttermilk are traditional symbols of poverty.)

"Allens mit Maten," säd de Schnieder, don verschacht' hei sien Fru mit'e
Ell.
"Everything (with measure =) in moderation," said the tailor and beat up his
wife with the yardstick."

"Allens mit Maten," sä' de Schnieder un schlööch sien Ollsch mit d' Ell
för'n Moors.
"Everything (with measure =) in moderation," said the tailor; then he hit
his old woman with the yardstick on the rump.

"Ut de Angst kümmt man gor nich rut," secht de Jung', "in'n Sommer dunnert
dat, un in'n Winter möt man inne Schaul."
"There's just no end to one's fear," says the boy, "in summer there's
thunder, and in winter you've got to go to school."

"Angst heff ick nich," säd de Jung', "oewer wechlopen dau ick doch."
"I'm not afraid," said the boy, "but I run away all the same."

"Ik möt 'n anschläägschen Kopp hebben," säd de Jung', don kreech hei por
Backsen.
"I must have a (hittable =) clever head," said the boy as he gets a few
slaps in the face.

"All Bott helpt," secht de Mück un pisst inne Ostsee.
"Every little bit helps," says the mosquito peeing into the Baltic See.

"Helpt all sien Deil," sä' dei Meif un pisst inne Ostsee.
"Every bit does its part," said the gull peeing into the Baltic Sea.

"All Bott helpt," sä' de Meif un sett sik up dat Schipp, dat sik fastführt
hadd.
"Every bit helps," said the gull and settled down on the ship that had run
aground.

"Lütt Vergnäugen möt ik uk hemm'," säd de Bur un kettelt sien Fru mit de
Messfork.
"I'm entitled to some fun too," said the farmer while tickling his wife with
the pitchfork.
("tickling" = euphemism for "hitting")

"Spass möt sin," säd de Düwel, as hei sien Oma mit de Messfork ketteln deed.
"You've got to have some fun sometime," said the devil as he tickled his
granny with the pitchfork.
("tickling" = euphemism for "hitting")

"Allens kann angahn," säd de Bur, "bloss keen Fingerhandschen oewer
Fuusthandschen antrecken."
"Anything (can go on =) is possible," said the farmer, "just not putting
gloves on top of mittens."

"Aller guten Dinge sind drei," säd de Bur, don drünk hei denn vierten
Schluck.
"All good things come in threes" (German), said the farmer as he took the
fourth gulp.

"Wo man singt, da lass dich ruhig nieder," säd de Düwel un sett' sik in'n
Immenschwarm.
"Settle down where there is song," (German saying from literature,
continuing: _Böse Menschen haben keine Lieder_ 'Evil people have no songs')
said the devil while sitting down in a swarm of bees.

"Dat schlicht Läben hett'n Enn'," säd de Fru un schmeert sick Stamptüften
up't Brot.
"The plain (= poor) life has come to an end," said the woman while spreading
some mashed potato onto her bread.

"Nu wier ik bald follen," secht de Jung', don leech hei all.
"I almost fell just then," said the boy as he was lying there.

"Een bäten mihr Farf kann ehr nich schaden," sä' dei Düwel un streek sien
Grossmurrer schwart an.
"A bit more color won't do her any harm," said the devil painting his
grandmother black.

"Schad, dat se mi nich to'n Gaushäuder nähmen," secht de Foss, "ik wüst süss
Gras nauch."
"Pity they won't employ me as a goose herder," says the fox, "for I'd know
enough about grass."

"Jed' Ding wur 't henhürt," säd dei Diern, don stellt sei denn Nachtpott
up'n Disch.
"Everything in its place," said the girl putting the chamber pot onto the
table.

"Wur 'k uk allerwäächt hengeraden kann," säd dei Hiering, don wür hei in
Etsig lecht.
"Amazing what places I get to go!" said the herring being placed into
vinegar.

"Dörch de Kähl geiht väl," sä' de Bur, don har hei sien' Hoff versapen.
"A lot can pass through one's gullet," said the farmer as he lost his farm
due to drink.

"Dörch de Kähl geiht väl," sä' de Schipper, don har hei sien Schipp
versapen.
"A lot can pass through one's gullet," said the Skipper as he lost his ship
due to drink.

"All Dach wat Niechs," säd dei Katt, don har sei sik dei Tung' an dei Melk
verbrennt.
"Everyday something new," said the cat and burned its tongue with milk.

"Ik sitt gaud," säd dei Katt, don seet sei up 'ne Specksiet.
"I'm sitting pretty," said the cat sitting on a slab of bacon.

"Dat is nich allens Bodder, wat dei Kauh gifft," säd dei Diern, don peerd s'
in'n Kauhfladen.
"It's more than just butter that comes from cows," said the girl stepping
into a cow pad.

"Weckerein kann ok an all's denken," säd dei Koeksch, don har sei vergäten
Meddach tau kaken.
"Who can remember every little thing?" said the (female) cook having
forgotten to cook lunch.

"Krüüsch bün ik nich," sär dei Jung', "oewer bäder is bäder," don streuch
hei sick Sucker up'n Sirup.
"I'm not picky about food," said the boy, "but better safe than sorry," as
he puts sugar onto the syrup.

"Küll kann 'k gaut verdragen," säd de Bur, don set he achtern warmen Aben.
"I can take a lot of cold," said the farmer as he was sitting by the warm
stove.

"Mudder, Mudder, ik heff't all tau wat bröcht," sä' de Jung, don har hei
Lüs'.
"Mother, Mother! I've come up in the world," said the boy having lice.

"Willen all hoch rut," sä' de Schauster, don kröp em 'ne Lus up'n Haut.
"Everyone wants (high up =) to go places," said the shoemaker as a louse
crawled onto his hat.

"Dat is 'n Mallür," säd de Klempner, don löd't hei sien Näsenspits an'n
Teekätel fast.
"What a fix!" said the tinsmith as he soldered the tip of his nose onto the
tea kettle.

"Des Guten kann man auch zuviel bekommen," säd de Bur, don föl em 'n Fauder
Mess up't Lief.
"There's such a thing as getting too much of a good thing," (German) said
the farmer as a load of manure fell onto him.

"Wat sünd ji för Minschen," secht dei Bur tau sien Schwien, perrt mit de
Beinen in'n Troch, un nahsten stöten se em üm.
"What kind of people are you?!" says the farmer to the pigs, steps (with his
legs) into the trough, and then they push him over.

"Jeder wat hei mach," secht de Jung', "Fadder, ät du dei Arften, ick will
dat Speck äten.
"To each his own," says the boy, "Father, you eat the peas, and I'll eat the
bacon."

"Dat schad' mien Murrer gor nicks, dat mi dei Moors friert," secht de Jung',
"worüm hett s' mien Büx nich flickt?"
"Serves my mother right that my backside is freezing," says the boy, "if she
doesn't bother to patch my pants."

"Dat schad' mien'n Fadder gor nicks, dat mi dei Fingern frieren," sä' de
Jung', worüm köfft hei mi kein Handschen?"
"Serves my father right that my fingers are freezing," said the boy, "if he
doesn't buy me mittens."

"Öller geiht voran," secht dei Jung' un stött denn Fadder ut dei Boenluk.
"Age before beauty," says the boy and pushes his father through the hayloft
hatch.

"Dat's man 'n Oewergang," secht de Foss un treckt denn Hasen dat Fell oewer
de Uhrn.
"It's just a ("over-going" =) transition/a temporary thing," says the fox
and pulls the skin over the hare's ears (= skins it).

"Dat's man 'n Oewergang," sä' de Foss un un beet de Gaus denn Hals af.
"It's just a ("over-going" =) transition/a temporary thing," said the fox
and bit off the goose's head.

"Verfihr di nich," sä' de Foss, don kreech hei denn Ganter tau faten.
"Don't be scared/alarmed!" said the fox as it got hold of the gander.

"Dat Nödigst tau ierst," säd de Mann, don schlööch hei ierst sien Fru dei
Jack full, un naast kreech hei dat Pierd ut'n Graben.
"(The most important thing first =) First things first," said the man, first
gave his wife a hiding and then pulled the horse out of the ditch.

"Lat lopen," secht Frits Lüth un pisst inne Büx.
"Let things run their course," says Frits Lueth peeing his pants.

"Wat sin möt, möt sin," säd de Bur, verköfft sienen Ossen un köfft sik 'ne
Prük.
"You've got to do what you've got to do," said the farmer, sold his oxen and
bought himself a wig.

"Nu heff ik endlich mien Rauh," säd de Schnieder, don harr em sien Fru ut'
Hus schmäten un dei Dör achter em tauschlaten.
"Now I'll have some peace and quiet at last," said the tailor as his wife
threw him out of the house and locked the door after him.

"Rendligkeit is't halwe Läben," säd de Diern, don fäächt se denn Disch mit'n
Bessen af.
"Cleanliness is half your life," said the girl as she swept the table with
the floor broom.

"Rendlichkeit erhöllt dei Wilt," secht dei Fru un fäächt dei Häunerschiet
von'n Disch.
"Cleanliness saves the world," says the woman sweeping chicken droppings off
the table (with a floor broom).

"Nicks geiht oewer de Rendlichkeit," sä' dat oll Minsch un kihrt sünnabends
dat Hemd üm.
"Nothing goes over cleanliness," said the old person turning his/her shirt
inside out on Saturday night.

"Dei Sak hett 'n Haken," säd dei Heckt, don satt hei an de Angel fast.
"There's a (hook =) snag here," said the hake as it got caught on the
fishing line.

"Wat nutst' mi, dat dei Schaul afbrennt is," sär de Jung', "wenn de
Schaulmeister nich mit verbrennt is!"
"What good is it to me that the school is burnt down," said the boy, "if the
schoolmaster isn't burnt as well?"

"Alle Frachten lichten," säd de Schipper, don schmeet he sien Fru oewer
Burd.
"All cargo overboard!" said the skipper and threw his wife overboard.

"Dei Schlap för Middernacht is de best," sä' de Bur un kümmt fief Minuten
för twölben na Hus.
"The best kind of sleep is sleep before midnight," said the farmer and comes
home five minutes before twelve.

"Wer kann weiten, wo de Has löppt," secht de Bur, don stellt hei de Fall
up't Schündack.
"Who knows which way (the hare runs =) things will go?" says the farmer as
he puts the trap onto the barn roof.

"Bäder inne wiede Welt as in'n engen Buk," sär de Diern un lött eenen
fohren.
"Better out in the wide world than in the tight belly," said the girl
passing wind.

"Ik straf mien Fru mit gaude Wür," sä' de Bur, don schmeet he ehr de Bibel
an'n Kopp.
"I punish my wife with good words," said the farmer and threw the Bible at
her head.