LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.01.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 4 15:01:18 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JAN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

Onderwerp: Language varieties
Van: "marco [evenhuiscommunicatie]" <marco at evenhuiscommunicatie.nl>

denis dujardin wrote:

> Referring to the very interesting booklet of Hugo Ryckeboer about
> French( south)-Flemish dialect (which will be extinct in years to come
> ,
>  in the area between Lille and Dunkirk),
> I want to mention the following link where one can hear the french
> Dunkirk-dialect which is stuffed with flemish words. Dunkirk used to
> be flemish spoken, but its dialect disappeared somewhere in the
> beginning of the 19th century. The tale of the fox and the crow, -
> told by a local
>  carnival-man, illustrates interesting flemish vocabulary-remnants.
> http://www.carnaval-dunkerque.com/penelecres.html

A few remarks about what Denis wrote. Who says the French Flemish
dialect will be extinct in the near future? I don't believe it will be.
There are enough young speakers, either native speakers or young people
that learnt the language through courses. I think 'our very own'
Frederic Baert is a good example.
Then the Dunkirk (Duunkerke, Duinkerken, Dunkerque) language samples.
These are brilliant! For those interested, you can find a very nice
lexicon of the dialect of Dunkirk here:
http://www.ifrance.com/kiek-reusche/parler.htm. The number of Flemish
words in Dunkerquois is really astonishing!
And then to correct Denis: the original, germanic Dunkerquois was spoken
well into the 20th century. In fact, in certain suburbs and towns in the
Dunkirk agglomeration there are still speakers left, e.g. Petite Synthe,
Leffrinckouke and Coudekerque-Branche.
Then just one of many examples of present day, more or less romanic
Dunkerqouis I found on the site of the Dunkirk carnaval association 'Les
Kiekeun Reusche'. After reading examples like this, one might wonder if
Dunkerkquois isn't just a Flemish dialect, hidden behind a curtain of
French and Picard:

"Grot'che ou menne (la grand mère) ; peille (le père), meille ou moudr'
(la mère) ; les kint'ches ont des zeustres, des zostekeus et des
brours ; les plus grands sont les double-mousses et les meiches, les
suivants les mousses et les plus jeunes, les boutche-cadeules et les
kinkernèches. C'est tout son père craché.
Ma matante, mon mononcle; les pêtekint' ches".

You'll easily recognise Duthc/Flemish words like grootje (granny),
moeder/moedere (mother), kindjes (kids), zusters (sisters), broers
(bothers), meisjes (girls) and petekindjes (godchild). 'Kinkernèche' or
in Dutch spelling 'kinkernestje' is a nice exmaple of a Flemish dialect
word in Dunkerqouis. In Zeelandic I know it as 'kakkenisje' (Dutch:
achteraankomertje), a child that is born years later than the rest of
its brothers and sisters. Litterally 'kakkenisje' means something like a
dirty bird's nest, a nest that has already been used.

Finally, on the site www.parlezdunkerquois.com (a forum about Dunkirk,
carnaval, etc.) you can see the dialect is still very much alive. On the
forum people calling themselves 'snoupremule' (snoeperemuule, 'sweet
tooth') discuss to dress up or not for a pre-carnaval meeting ("clet'ch
ou pas clet'ch"; clet'ch or kleedje being a costume) and end their
messages with 'a noste keê' (Zeelandic: e naoste keê, Dutch litterally:
'een naaste keer', litt. a next time)!

A noste keê,

Marco Evenhuis