LL-L "Literature" 2005.01.20 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 20 17:09:00 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JAN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: Literature

Moi Reinhard

Ik wul wel wat inzenden naor 't Freudenthal gezelschop.
En ai'j mij daor in kunt raoden dan slao ik dat niet of.

Goodgaon
Arend Victorie.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

[English below]

Moyen, leyve Arend, Leyglanders!

Ik bün blyd' tou weten, dat Du ook mit-maken wult, Arend. Tja, an Dy hev ik
ook dacht, as ik gistern myn an-stoyten schreyv', wyl dat ik den prys tou
letst kündig moyk, bevoer Du Dy by Lowlands-L in-schreyvst (un ik bün ook
blyd', dat Du dat daan hest).

Ik wil noch eyn maal künnig maken, dat 'n elk slag litteratuur in-senden
kan, ook prosa, essays un spelen, so lang as sey nich langer sünd as 't
verloyvd is.

In 't jaar 1998 har ik by dey Freudenthal-Selschup (ook schriftlich) mit myn
"propaganda" an-vungen, dat warken vun Sassische schryvers-luyd' uut dey
Nedderlanden un uut annere landen wilkamen wesen schullen, nich bloots uut
Nourd-Duytschland. Nu hebt dey voer-sitter, Heinrich Kröger, un dey meyrsten
maten vun d'n voerstand 'n heyl apenen sin, un de Selschup har dun al vun
d'n Drentschen schryvers-man Henk Krosenbrink eyn or twey artikels bröcht
(un Henk kreyg' ook 2001 d'n prys). Nu is my dat wichtig, dat dat ook so
blivt: 'n internatschonale saak, nich de wende "norddeutsche Nabelschau", as
'n vründ vun my dat noymt. Mit de wyl hebt ook annere an-vungen an use
verwandten in de oosternen Nedderlanden tou dinken. So bringt nu de
Plattmaster (http://www.plattmaster.de/) meyr un meyr schakels na
Nedderlandsche net-syden, un de Wilhelmine-Siefkes-Pries is offytschel ook
voer warken in "plattdütske/nedersaksische Taal"
(http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/siefkes.htm).

Klaar help ik myn vründen in/vun de Nedderlanden heyl geyrn, man dat dou ik
bloots wat de schryvwys' an-langt, nich d'n styl un nich d'n inhold. Jy
kunnen as wend up Nedderlandsche wys' schryven un sware woyrd' an de kant
verklaren. Wen Joun wark nich so lang is, den kunnen Jy 't heyl un deyl up
Nedderlandsche wys' bringen un voer or achter ran mit 'n Duytsche
schryvwys'. Or Jy kunnen bloots 'n Duytsche schryvwys' bruken. In elk val
schullen Jy sware woyrd' (so as Hollandsche leenwoyrd') verklaren. Eyn saak
schullen Jy bedinken: lesers in Duytschland hebt besünners problemen mit
uut-spreken, nich as [z], [u] un [ø]. Or Jy kunnen dey Algemeyne Schrywys'
(AS) bruken, dey ik hyr bruuk. Ik gloyv', dey meyrsten luyd' kunnen er sachs
verstaan.

Tja, den man tou! 'n Gouden wind in de sayls!

Kumpelmenten,
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Meyr oever prysen hyr:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/prizes.htm
Givt 't noch annere prysen, ook in de Nedderlanden, dey ik daar up-noymen
schul?

***

Hi, dear Arend, Lowlanders!

I'm happy to know you intend to participate, Arend. Actually, I was thinking
of you when I was writing my reminder yesterday, because you joined us after
I sent out my last reminder. (And I'm happy you did join us.)

I want to remind everyone that any sort of literature is welcome, also
prose, essays and plays, not only poetry, just as long as the submissions
aren't longer than permitted.

In 1998 I started my "propaganda" (also in writing) at the Freudenthal
Society, calling for acceptance of Low Saxon works from the Netherlands and
other countries, not only from Northern Germany. Fortunately, the chairman
Heinrich Kröger and some other members of the steering committee are
openminded, and the Society had already puplished one or two articles by the
Drenthe writer Henk Krosenbrink (and Henk won the prize in 2001). It's very
important to me that we stay on this course, that this remain an
international affair rather than the usual "North German navel show," as a
friend of mine calls it. In the meantime, others have begun to include our
relatives in the Eastern Netherlands. For example, Plattmaster
(http://www.plattmaster.de/) lists more and more links to sites in the
Netherlands, and the Wilhelmine Siefkes Prize
(http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/siefkes.htm) is for
"plattdütske/nedersaksische Taal" as well.

Of course I'd be happy to help our friends in/from the Netherlands, however
only with regard to presentation (orthography), not with regard to style and
contents. You could write as usual with Dutch-based spelling and could
explain difficult words in the margin. If your works aren't too long, you
could first use the Dutch-based spelling and append a version with
German-based spelling. Or you could use only German-based spelling. In any
case, you ought to explain difficult words (such as Dutch loans). And you
readers in Germany; they want to read them as [ts], [ø] and [oi], not as
[z], [u] and [ø]. Or you could use the Algemeyne Schrywys' (AS, General
Orthography), the one I'm using above. I believe most people can understand
it.

Well, forge ahead then! "A good wind in the sails!"

P.S.: More about prizes here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/prizes.htm
Are there other prizes I should list, also in the Netherlands?