LL-L "Etymology" 2005.01.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 30 09:05:20 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Etymology

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.01.28 (07) [E/LS/German]
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Folks, Jonny is a bit frustrated because he didn't get any response to
his question regarding the Low Saxon (Low German) terms (1) _Slickswaren_
and
> (2) _Slüüs-Swaren_, two terms he found used in the context of
historical
> dike laws.  They denote people that are responsible for locks/sluices.
I have never come across these terms and would not have imagined them to
denote people, my associations with "Swaar" being different.

Hello Jonny and Reinhard,
Just back from holidays in Queensland and picked up the emails. My
grandfather, Peter Hubertus, was responsible for daily measuring the water
levels in the canal next to our family bakery in Maastricht close to the
current Belgium border during the 1800's. I am not sure what the name of the
canal was but it was apparently a major thouroghfare for goods
transportation at the time.
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au