LL-L "Songs" 2005.07.01 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Fri Jul 1 20:42:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUL.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "Global Moose Translations" <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2005.06.30 (06) [A/D/E]

Rikus wrote:
> Gabrielle wrote 'whipping people into shape, today the lowlandslist, and
> tomorrow the world right?" Middelsprake is only the beginning.
>
> Gabrielle, you are very upset about something. I notice, but I do not know
> what is really upsetting you. Middelsprake is a very penetrating and
> superficial thing, but what has it to do with your anger.

This was a joke, of course, aimed at Ron who tried to assert his dominance
here (also joking), and I didn't think that anyone could misunderstand it.
Believe me, it takes other things to get me upset (endangered species, for
example, rather than endangered languages - and aggressively dominant
cultures, but that isn't, and should not be, a topic of this list).

> Please explain me for I think we have a severe point of quarrel between
> dominant and less dominant lanquages.
> Even if the dominancy originates in the believers in less dominant
> lanquages.

In essence, I think the "dominance" of languages is a very democratic
process - in principle, people have a choice as to what they want to use as
"their" language. But only in theory, I'm afraid. This is a vast topic, and
has been discussed on this List many times.

I do not see Middelsprake as either penetreting or superficial, but I really
like it. It's fun to feel instantly at home in a language that you never
learned!

Cheers,
Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Hi, Rikus!

It was really nice of you to feel concerned enough to inquire about
Gabriele's feelings.  I allowed her to respond first (albeit reluctantly,
dominance hog that I am).

Once is a frequent while we play with fire: with humor.  This is a
somewhat dangerous game in multicultural settings, since humor can be
rather culture-specific, and humorous banter, "mock fighting," can easily
be misunderstood by people who are not familiar with it or don't grasp the
linguistic subtleties.

My supposed telling off Jacqueline about considering Afrikaans a type of
Dutch (and my threat to "rearrange her drawers") was in jest (even though
I do support the separate status of Afrikaans and still hope to convert
her some time).  (I would never be seriously offended if someone did not
share my opinion, though I might tease them.)  You can tell by
Jacqueline's response that she understood it and, in mock exaspiration
about my alleged fraternal bullying, went along with it and with
Gabriele's omnipresent opportunist subversion attempts.

So far things have gone too far only once, recently, and this between two
people (who shall remain nameless) who are supposed to share the same
cultural background.  (But the difference between them is coastal versus
hinterland, and I need not spell out which one of these is superior.)

Gabriele is an acquired taste, and I'm sure so am I.  But we are really
quite harmless, there's more bark than bite, and we are really friends.
So, if you ever notice anything like friction, please assume that it is
joking unless you are told otherwise.

At any rate, I very much appreciated your concern, even though it did not
directly relate to me.

Best regards,