LL-L "Grammar" 2005.07.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Fri Jul 1 21:07:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.06.30 02) [E]

Regarding pre-iron age roots, I gather there are a lot of pre-Indo
European words in Germanic, mainly from a language around the S. Baltic/
souther Scandinavian area that Claibourne and others call "Folkish".  This
language supposedly contributes the non-IE words such a "folk" - where IE
has a cognate of e.g. Latin genus, such as "kin".

Paul