LL-L "Folklore" 2005.07.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Wed Jul 6 03:35:30 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JUL.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2005.07.05 (01) [E]

On 06/07/2005, at 4:21 AM, Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2005.07.03 (03) [E]
>
> Gabriele
>
> I don't know about calico cats but some of the Italians I worked with
> in Brooklyn sure as hell got spooked when a black cat crossed their
> path.

In Scotland on the other hand black cats are considered lucky.
I recall them being emblazoned on greetings cards.
In parts of rural England badgers were regarded in a similar way.
An old rhyme goes...
"If a badger cross your path and you hear an owlet cry.
Be careful of your health for death is drawing nigh."
My good health may be due to fact that the only badger I ever saw
live was at Edinburgh Zoo.
Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia