LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Thu Jul 7 18:45:38 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws)

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Etymology" 2005.07.06 (08)

Dag julle,

Van: "Rikus Kiers" <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Bron is nowadays used .....opborrelen?

"Bron" is also used in Afrikaans and meaning water
or other source (as in 'bron van bekommernis').

Regarding 'betrukken' and betrekken':
In Afrikaans betrek also means 'to involve', as in
'Ons het almal by die probleem betrek.'

Betrek = 'take over'. (Die tsotsi's het die le? huis betrek.)
Betrekking also means job in Afrikaans.

Cheerio,
Elsie Zinsser

>In dutch there is the word betrekken, which means move into
>meaning to attack
>betrekking, which means job

>Ron:Something like : take possession of a houseOld Saxon for '(well)spring':
   born, burno, brunno
   kwella
   spring, springi, gispring, gispringi, upspring

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.06 (08) [E]

I've always assumed that German "Brun", Dutch "bron" etc were related to
English/Scots "burn", bourne" etc.  They mean "stream" nowadays but I
would assume the meaning has shifted?

Paul

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

Old Saxon for 'well':
   born
   sôth<

Ron/Reinhard

As you can see because I use Conmpuserve, I can't change my font system and
so can't see the accents as written.

Can you spell out for me the second word given here?

Thanks

Heather

----------

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2005.07.06 (02) [E]

"Ladybirds? Lucky or evil?"

What is a ladybird anyway? Is it just a female bird?
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Paul (above):

> I've always assumed that German "Brun", Dutch "bron" etc
> were related to
> English/Scots "burn", bourne" etc.  They mean "stream"
> nowadays but I would assume the meaning has shifted?

I understand that this is the case, Paul.  I assume the original meaning
is 'wellspring', 'source'.

Heather (above):

> Old Saxon for 'well':
>    born
>    sôth<

> As you can see because I use Conmpuserve, I can't
> change my font system

Bummer!

> and
> so can't see the accents as written.

It's _s{o-circumflex}th_.

I suppose the Modern Low Saxon descendant ought to be written with a <d>
then: _sood_ (neuter, pl. _soden_), since OS <th> > LS <d> (which then
undergoes final devoicing).

Ben (above):

> What is a ladybird anyway? Is it just a female bird?

Allow me to play the interpreter between English dialects.

Non-American "ladybird" is the same as American "ladybug."

Why, "bird"?  I don't have the answer.  My theory is that ladybugs are
mostly considered beneficial, lucky and pretty, symbols of summer, and
"bird" sounds nicer than "bug" or "beetle."

Low Saxon words for the same:

maankalv (<Maankalf> "moon calf")
maandkalv (<Maandkalf> "moon calf")
sünne(n)-kuyken (<Sünn(e(n))küken> "sun chick")
sünne(n)-kükken (<Sünn(e(n))kücken> "sun chick")
sünne(n)-küksken (<Sünn(e(n))kücksken> "sun chick")
sünnen-kever (<Sünn(en)käver> "sun bug/beetle")
sünnen-worm (<Sünn(en)worm> "sun worm")
sünnen-kou (<Sünn(en)koh> "sun cow")
sünnen-peyrd (<Sünn(en)peerd>, <Sünnenpierd> "sun horse")
sünnen-schyner (<Sünn(en)schiener> "sunshiner")
maryk (<Mariek> "lil' Mary'")*

* cf. German _Marienkäfer_ ("Mary('s) bug/beetle") for the same.

As for "bird," note the following Low Saxon words for "butterfly":

botter-vagel (<Bottervagel> "butter bird")
bodder-vagel (<Boddervagel> "butter bird")
summer-vagel (<Summervagel> "summer bird")

There are other names, depending on the dialect:

botter-likker (<Botterlicker> "butter licker")*
bodder-likker (<Bodderlicker> "butter licker")*
vlidderling (<Flidderling> reference to "flutter")
vleerling (<Fleerling> reference to "flutter")
uyle-puyle (<Ülepüle> reference to _uul_ 'owl'?)**

* also used to denote a ribbon tied as a large bow worn on the head by
young girls, as they still do for instance in several former Soviet
states, in North Korea and in Mainland China.

** perhaps connected with _uylken_ (<Üülken> "little owl," "owlet") for
'large nocturnal moth'