LL-L "Education" 2005.07.16 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 17 01:35:55 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUL.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Education" 2005.07.15 (10) [D/E]

Re Dutch IV: Ron wants to know what standards apply;
These students have acquainted themselves with most of the Dutch Grammar and
Syntax. But they have not developed any feeling for the idiomatic qualities
of the language. They have read some children stories in class and are just
now starting to talk a little more freely about practical subjects.
We are planning to read "Minoes" in Dutch IV and role-play a series of zany
adventures of a group of students of the Dutch language, adrift in the
Netherlands. Ron, if your Dutch was not already so excellent, you would fit
right in! I'll send you an E-mail if they will ever make it through Dutch
VI. Have a nice summer. Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Education

Thanks for elaborating (above), Jacqueline.

"Dutch IV" sounds like a lot of fun.

> Ron, if your Dutch was not already so excellent, you would fit right in!

Oh, you've got to be kidding!  Don't be misled by my *written* Dutch!  I
*can* carry simple conversations (also in Afrikaans)  if the other person
speaks clearly and not too fast, but my problem is that I tend to lapse into
Low Saxon or make up Dutch (or Afrikaans) on that basis.  I don't know what
that would do to the other students. They might ask for their money back.

Have fun north of the border, Jacqueline, and don't do a Jonah!  We'll miss
you while you're away.

Kómpelmenten,