LL-L "Language use" 2005.07.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 17 16:41:17 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.07.15 (11) [E/Tok Pisin]

Ron wrote in reply to Mark Williamson:
"Funny you related that thing about Little Tokyo. Last week I witnessed
something very similar at one of the Japanese buffets in San Francisco's
Japan Town. There was a Spanish couple at the next table -- having lived in
Japan, judging by their conversation. (OK, so I sometimes eavesdrop when I
"hear languages." So sue me!) Anyway, the woman spoke Japanese to the
waiters, and they looked embarrassed. Fact is the joint was
Taiwanese-Chinese-run, just like similar places up in Vancouver!"

This anecdote brings to mind two experiences I have had.

The first is in restaurants and pubs in the Donegal Gaeltacht (officially
designated Irish-speaking district). Because most tourists (including those
of Irish origin) speak only English, Irish-speaking staff will only use
Irish reluctantly, and very many - even in the most Gaelach of pubs in the
most Gaelach of Gaeltachtai - employ staff who only speak English. In one
particularly bitter experience for me I was served by a person who did not
even know that the area was Irish-speaking, and she had been working at the
shall-remain-anonymous pub (which advertises itself in Irish newspapers as
utterly Irish-speaking) for six weeks.

The second is to do with accent. In Perth and Fremantle in Western Australia
it is common to be served in "Irish" theme pubs by people with regional
English (especially from the north of England), Welsh or Scottish accents as
Australians are poor at distinguishing the various accents of Ireland and
Britain (at least that was what the Irish manager of one told me). Any will
do! (Not that it matters of course, but I thought it was an interesting
socio-linguistic take.)

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.