LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.21 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 21 21:18:49 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JUL.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.16 (02) [E]

I don't think we've got a French connection here, but rather a Roman one!

<Wednesday>, Dutch <woensdag> is of course from Wodan, an old Germanic God.

The change into <g-> was in my opinion an attempt to get the Christian God
into it.
>>From Wodensdag to Godensdag is only a small step, and <Gode(n)sdag> = lit.
God's day !

Of couse they forgot to Christianize "Donder(s)dag" < Thonar, "Fridag"
< Freya, and Sater(s)dag < Saturnus, not to mention Sunday and Mo(o)nday.

Ingmar

btw I've always wondered if the ethymologies of the words <God> and
<good>, Dutch <God> and <goed>, Germ <Gott> and <gut>, Scand. <Gud> and
<god> have anything to do with each other...