LL-L "Traditions" 2005.07.22 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 22 19:40:46 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JUL.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Heinrich <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.22 (03) [B/E/LS]

> Gifft dat annerwärts verwandte, lieke or ähnliche Wöör? Ook dit
> Bruukdoum,
> wat de Noberschopp dreegen deiht?
>
> Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

Leiwe Jonny,
den bruuk, woar de nobers de Kist ( Sarg is kien haugdüütsch word!)
driägen doot, giwwt of gaww dat auk woaranners. Dat hefft sick in de
lästen dertig Joahr fullkuommen verännert. Reste sind oaber bliäben.

In dat katolschke Münsterland gawwt dat üöberall de Plicht, dat de
Nobers  Liikendriäger wörn un eeren egenen Dischk harrn. Doar göng den
helen Dag bi drup. Al Merrags wassen de Lüüde besuopen van dat "Fell
vesuupen".Nich in miin Liäben sall ick vegiäten, dat ick up een Dorp bi
miene Merragsmoaltid in de lokale "Wirtschaft" eene Gesiällschap beliäwt
heff, de een biätken ut de Fugen geroaten wör. Dat Lied met een Sopran
"Ach ich hab' sie ja nur auf die Schulter geküsst..." höör ick vandaag noch!
 Wi hebbt de Wäädsdochter froacht, hebbt Ii hier vandage 'ne graute
Hochtied? "Nee" seggt se veliäggen, "'ne Beäädigung!

In English below,
in my native, mostly catholic influenced Münsterland, there has always
been along tradition of casket bearing in all villages, a duty of the
neighbors. They got their special coffeetable after burial apart from
the others. But usually there was not only coffee and "buttercake" to be
offered. A burial without hard drinks (Schnaps !!), was no burial . Many
of the participants were drunk already at noon,  Some 30 years ago I had
a job in such a village. My collegues an I took our daily supper in the
local restaurant. Some day there was a big noisy party already at noon
with operetta songs in soprano. So we asked the daughter of the owner:
"Are they celebrating a wedding  that early today?". "Oh no" she replied
embarrassed," It's a funeral !"

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Are there any related, similar or even identical words in Your languages?
Does anyone know this kind of tradition that neighbours have to carry the
coffin?<

I wonder whether there is any connection here with the old tradition that
was still known in the 19th century of 'sin eating'.

In Wales and the Marcher counties a tramp / poor person or may be a
volunteer from the family, would offer to be the deceased's sin-eater.
He/she would be supplied with alcohol and good food across the coffin and
that would symbolise the taking upon themselves of the sins of the
deceased.

In Mary Webb's "Precious Bane"  her brother Gideon takes on the sins of his
father and he recites  as he eats and drinks : I give easement and rest now
to thee, dear man. Come not down the lanes nor in our meadows. And for thy
peace I pawn my own soul. Amen

If 'hinseln'  is related to Seele - this giving peace to the soul may be at
the heart of it.

 Interesting that both seem to get good food for their pains.

Heather