LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.22 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 22 23:50:13 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JUL.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.22 (04) [E]

Isn't <prügeln> the normal German expression for beating up someone?
If it is from a word meaning <stick>, is a common procedure in Dutch to
have words for especially (disobedient) boys named after pieces of wood.
Like "knaap" = boy + wooden coat-hanger, "knuppel" = boy + club, "vlegel"
= flail + boy, "bengel", "kleuter", etc.

About <doerak>, that is Standard Dutch too, and known to be of Russian
descent. According to NEW (J de Vries' Nederlands Etymologisch Woordenboek)
a loan from the time the cossacks were in the Netherlands.

<Kebaal> is Standard Dutch <kabaal>, synonym to <lawaai> (an interesting
<cabale>, from Hebr. <kaballa>.

So Yiddish didn't probably play a roll here

Ingmar

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lowlands-l. ETYMOLOGY 2005.22.07 [04]

Hey y'all!

I was just resting up from a tumultuous trip to Thrace and the Ostmark
(better watch out for those marches/marks/marche/moerk: they tend to make us
aware of borders and rustle up the latent wanderlust), when, as if by magic,

Ron schreev:

<As I was putting finishing touches to various anniversary site pages, I
stumbled across 3 particularly interesting words in our Arend's Hoogeveen
Low Saxon version...
<...DOERAK (durak): fool, idiot...>borrowed from Russian or Ukrainian..."

Let me interject that two words for 'fool, idiot' in the Gothic of the
mid-fourth Century were "dwala" and "raka". Good sources would place the
etymology of "raka" as of Scythian or Persian origin, but the "dwala" is
pure old, down-home Gothic Germanic, forerunner of our "dull" and "dullard"
(to which I myself answer).

It is thus possible that the opprobrium "durak" was an assimilation made, at
least by Slavs, perhaps also by Goths, of the two most frequently used terms
of assessment upon completion of rigorous educational testing and
intelligence measurement techniques of that era: Dwala! Raka! Duraka!

 The Slavs took a number of words from Gothic in both the Wielbark era on
the southern shore of the Baltic, and the subsequent Chernovich culture in
present-day Ukraine and Romania.

Servus beinand.

Arthur

Arthur A. Jones
arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com

Or, perhaps they sound similar because all are onomatopoetic.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, guys, and welcome home, Arthur!

Arthur about _doerak_ < _durak_:

> Let me interject that two words for 'fool, idiot' in the Gothic of the
> mid-fourth Century were
> "dwala" and "raka". Good sources would place the etymology of "raka" as of
> Scythian or
> Persian origin, but the "dwala" is pure old, down-home Gothic Germanic,
> forerunner of
> our "dull" and "dullard" (to which I myself answer).
>
> It is thus possible that the opprobrium "durak" was an assimilation made,
> at least by |
> Slavs, perhaps also by Goths, of the two most frequently used terms of
> assessment
> upon completion of rigorous educational testing and intelligence
> measurement
> techniques of that era: Dwala! Raka! Duraka!

Now, Arthur, the plot thickens ... perhaps.  Or "you let something slip," to
borrow our Heather's words.

In Low Saxon you can refer to 'silly', 'nonsensical' and the like (besides
with French-derived _mal_ <mall>) with _dwal_ (<dwall>) or _dwaller-watsch_
(<dwallerwatsch>), 'nonsense' (German _Quatsch_) as _dwaller-watschen kraam_
or _dwaller-watsch tuyg_.

Any connection or _dwaller-watsch tuyg_?

Oh, and then there is _rakker_ (<Racker>) meaning 'scoundrel' ...

Wondering ...