LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.24 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 24 17:51:17 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.23 (03) [E]

<At any rate, the underlying meaning appears to be "to stretch"(not "to
rake")> you wrote, Reinhard.
I was speaking about the original meaning of <rakker>in Dutch and Low Saxon
What I wrote below was a quote from the excellent Nederlands Etymologisch
Woordenboek of J. de Vries, and he says those first meanings of <rakker>
were "schoonmaker van een privaat" i.e toilet cleaner, "vilder" = skinner,
and "doodgraver", and only AFTER that (1524) "beul" = hangman, torturer.
He also gives the modern Dutch verbs <rakken> and <rakkeren> to clean up
dirt, and German <racken> to sweep together.

But under <rekken> = to stretch the NEW refers also to <raken> and
Dutch <raken> has two different meanings: 1] to touch, to reach, to hit,
to achieve, and 2] to rake.

Under <raken 2> the NEW speaks of MiddleDutch/MiddleLowSaxon <reken>
to scrape together, MiddleHighGerman <rechen> idem, to grub, OldSaxon
<rekon> to get together, so these e-forms look more like <rekken> again.
To make it even more complicated, Dutch has <reiken> too, i.e. to reach,
to extend, and <bereiken> to arrive, to achieve, to range >aanreiken> to
pass, to hand.
And of course <strekken>, and English <to stretch>, has the same origin as
<rekken>, only with an old <s> prefix.

At any rate, the underlying meaning of <rakker> appears to be "to rake"
first, and only "to stretch" secondary, though these words are probably
related to eachother, too.

Ingmar

Hahn:
>In English there are several verbs and nouns that are homophonous with
>these, but none of them seems to be even remotely connected with "to rake"
>and "rake."  However, I hasten to add that "rack" listed above begins to
>appear in writing in the 14th or 15th century, and that it could very well
>be a Middle Dutch or Middle Saxon loan group.  At any rate, the underlying
>meaning appears to be "to stretch" (not "to rake"), as it survives for
>instance in German _sich recken_ ("to rack oneself") 'to stretch' (e.g.,
>after sleeping).

Roerdinkholder:

----------

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Etymology"

> Reinhard schreev:
> >In the majority of Low Saxon dialects that have _rakker_ (<Racker>) it
> means
> >"scoundrel" and the like.  Lindow gives the following glosses in his
> >dictionary: _Schinder, Henker; Schurke, Flegel, Halunke, Schelm; (heute
> >häufig wohlmeinend, bes. zu Kindern), Schalk, drolliger Wicht_.  So it
> seems
> >to have started off as meaning "torturer," then "scoundrel," then
> >"prankster," then "droll guy," and then "naughty or cheeky child."  In
> your
> >dialect it then became simply "child."
> >
> >Now, this leads me to further etymologize _rakker_ (<Racker>) as being
> >related to English "rack," namely the torturer's rack (i.e., a
contraption
> >for physical torture), although I can't think of expected *_rak_
(*<Rack>)
> >occurring in Modern Low Saxon.

Hello !

In East Frisia we know "Racker" for a naughty or cheeky child as an import
from other areas of Northern Germany only but we have the genuine "rak" or
(diminutive) "rakje" meaning "shelf".

Greetings
Holger