LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.07.28 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 15:11:47 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hey, Luc!

Sorry I forgot to answer your question under "Etymology" today.  So I'll do
it here along with other stuff.

I wrote:

> In my book, those dialects ...

You asked:

> First of all: "in my book". Huh?!? What kind of book did you write Ron?
> Could you give some more information?

Sorry.  This is an example of the pitfalls of using certain types of
idiomatic expressions in an international round.  On the other hand, it is
about language and worth learning.

"In my book, ..." (with emphasis on "my," which makes all the difference)
means something like "in my opinion," "consistent with the way I look at
things," etc.

Similar is "Where I come from ..." (with emphasis on "I").  But this one is
much stronger in disagreement, tends to imply objection to faulty logic or
misrepresentation; e.g., "Where I come from, cherries grow on trees, not on
bushes," perhaps in response to someone using the word "cherry-bush."

The other day I responded to Utz:

> >  un da sacht se denn "gans alle sein".
>
> Genau so sågng wiä das auch in Hambuich, ...

Utz had responded to Jonny's question about _uut_ and Missingsch _aus_
("out") in the sense of "finished," "exhausted."  So in his (Bremen) and my
(Hamburg) Missingsch "to be _alle_" ("all") means to be finished/exhausted,"
also "to be bushed/nackert(sp?)" in England English, "to be wasted" in
American English (not in the sense of "drunk").  Yesterday I remembered that
we also use Missingsch _aus un alle_, from Low Saxon _uut un al_ ("out and
all") to mean "all gone" or "all/totally exhausted," also meaning "finito,"
"that's the end of that."

_Alle_ ("all") in the sense of "finished," "gone" or "empty" is one of the
first words a North German child learns, or used to learn.  You show the
little one the empty cup or plate after drinking or eating and say _Alle!_
until the child learns to say it.  I take it this is northern-specific.  Or
am I wrong?