LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 31 18:34:08 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.28 (07) [E]

Hello everybody,

I just want to give you my humble opinion on Missingsch and the difference
between Missingsch and the other Low Saxon-substrate varieties such as
Berlinerisch and Ruhrdeutsch (from the Ruhr District).

I think that Ron hypothesis that the dialect of Berlin which retains Low
Saxon function words like "det" (that, it), "ik" (I) and so on in contrast
to Northern German Missingsch has grown more organically over a longer
period of time might contain some truth. On the other hand, the dialect of
the Ruhr District which is also based on Low Saxon syntax and phonology and
like the Berlin
dialect retains Low Saxon function words such as "dat" (that), "et" (it),
but not "ik" (I), has come into existence in at most two generations, from
the beginning of the 20th century onwards when the whole area was
industrialized and a huge number of people both from the adjacent Westphalia
and the Rhineland, but also from East Prussia, Eastern Germany, Poland, etc.
came to work and live there.
But still, I have read a survey from the 1920s where it is stated that about
a half of the school children at that time spoke Westphalian Low Saxon at
home (I can't remember the title and author of that study just now...). So
my hypothesis would be that the "Shibboleth" Low Saxon function words were
retained in the Ruhr Area and in Berlin because there was a mixing of people
from the area itself and from the non-Low Saxon speaking area (which is not
too far away from Berlin and the Ruhr) in the new emerging worker's areas in
the towns which resulted in the use of High German words but these workers
didn't aspire to the "pure" High German of
the "higher" social classes. Whereas in Hamburg the desire to speak "proper"
High German
might have been stronger and thus the "Shiboleth" words such as "dat" and
"ik"
might have been avoided. What do you think about this theory?

Gued gaon!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.rub.de